Thursday, February 28, 2008

Busy work

Thank you everyone for your prayers and good wishes. I really appreciate it.

My mother came home from the hospital yesterday late afternoon. The swallowing therapist wanted her to stay one more night but she let them know she wanted to go home. The hospital is only about 9 blocks from her apt. so we can easily get back to meet with the therapist.

You have all heard the saying that when you get older you will have either your mind or your body, probably not both. My mother's body is full of arthritis, she is hard of hearing, and has macular degeneration in one eye, glaucoma in both, and a blocked retinal artery, and she is pretty sharp yet in her mind. My dad on the other hand was physically able to do almost anything up to his 92nd birthday, however his mind had started deteriorating at 90. I made him fix his own sandwich to see if he was capable. I purposely left him unattended yesterday to see how he would do if Mother was gone for any length of time. He walks with a cane now and sometimes a walker. As a pair he helps her walk and she helps him think. It is the next step I dread, the one where one of them is gone.

To keep busy Tues. night I picked up the scraps from the yellow and green crazy pieced blocks and started playing with them in postcard size. I was working on automatic because I was bone tired. I just did what I can do without thinking, lay the strips down until they covered the heavyweight product, zig zag their edges in place, trim any fabric hanging over the edge.

Last night I came back to it and started adding a few things to it. Below is the batik on the back of the postcard.
I am going to the sewing store today to teach a class on designing as you go. They are bringing their embroidery machines and while the machines are busy embroidering I will teach them how to take many different size blocks and plan a layout.

8 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

How truly blessed your parents are to still have each other...

Take time to take care of yourself as you make this journey.

Vicki W said...

Your parents are made of quite durable stock! God bless them! My Mom was lucky that she had two sisters to share the care responibilites with her Mother and I am lucky to ahve 3 brothers that will do the same when my Mom needs help. Be sure to take care of yourself!
The PC is really cool and looks like it was a very therapeutic exercise. I've been working on binding and my TIF this week. I should be able to get the piwheel quilt quilted (not bound yet) this weekend. It's going fast!

Anonymous said...

I know too your parents are blessed to have a wonderful daughter in their lives. My prayers continue for their well being.

My first thought when I saw your postcard was floating bubbles. I had to enlarge to see the buttons as they reminded me of 'Life Saver candies'. You always have a creative touch to all of your work, no matter what emotions you are coping with. Love the yellows and greens they are so bright and refreshing.

J~MT

jovaliquilts said...

Your parents must be made of stern stuff indeed. It is a blessing that they have each other, and I understand how difficult it will be for you and whoever is left should one of them outlive the other.

Where do you teach? I must just get up that way one day!

Elsie Montgomery said...

You will be blessed for honoring your parents as you do, even though it often takes all the resources you have. My memories of taking care of my folks are precious, although I miss them more than words can say.

Again, hugs and prayers

meggie said...

It is so very hard to see our parents getting more frail. Both in mind & physically.

I really like that postcard. So Springlike.

Val said...

That sounds like a really interesting and useful class to take! It would be good to see some of the results!

I'm glad your mother is improving. You are lucky to have them both at such an advanced age!

TB said...

Wow, it's been a while since I've read blogs because I did not know that your Mother was in the hospital. My thoughts and prayers are with you and the family for the best outcome possible. I'm glad to hear that she's back home. They are fortunate to have a daughter such as you.