Thursday, November 1, 2007

And yet another Trip

At the last quilt shop I worked at, as manager and fabric buyer, we always had enough fabrics to make a smooth blend of values, as in colorwash. I also taught the class there about 5 times a year. I would choose the 20 fabrics for a queen size quilt and make up kits so people who didn't want the agony of choosing fabrics could just buy a kit and go to it.

Today's post is the controversial kit that no one was sure if it would sell. It matches my living room so I knew I would make one. A couple other employees expressed interest so we cut 6 kits. Surprise, they were gone right away so we cut another 6 and then were out of most of the fabrics. Every kit of every combination that I ever chose there sold. I love choosing the fabrics and that is what I miss the most from that job.

This one is so much richer and deeper in person. I am always shocked when I see a picture of it. Here is a close up of the fabric variety. The lightest ones are really more of a beige, not as white as they look here.
Another close up of the red area.
It has been 9 years for this one, maybe ten and it still hasn't been finished. I haven't made the decision whether it should have a border and become a queen size or stay borderless and be a double bed quilt, or just a couch throw. It measures about 78" x 97". With today's thick mattresses we are making quilts a lot bigger than in the 1970's and 80's. This one is on my "to do" list for 2008.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Absolutely mesmerizing with colors that you wouldn't expect to be compatible. It is just beautiful. I can see you selecting colors for your kits and I understand why you miss it, you have a natuaral talent that the rest of us struggle with.

J~MT

Chris@Cats On My Quilts said...

Beautiful quilt and I love the colors. I bet every combination you put together sells. You have a good eye.

Joyce said...

And yet another wonderful quilt. I really love those fabrics.

meggie said...

You really do have a gift for colours. Wonderful!

Barbara C said...

I'm reassured to know that I'm not the only one who has fits of indecision over borders. I have resolved, however, to finish up all the borderless quilts I have hanging around. Thanks for sharing your lovely work.

mzjohansen said...

WOW ! What a knock out this is !
Terrific color impact - you just have to finish this one and USE it !

TB said...

You really learn about value with these quilts, don't you? It's amazing how they appear to be blurred.