Tuesday, November 13, 2007

More rectangles

Several years ago I was asked to make a quilt to hang in a booth at the PGA show in Florida. It is photographed on a black wall and does not have a black border. It is 5' x 7'. I started out with this photograph. I knew I wanted to make a loose interpretation of this scene.
Then I made a drawing on graph paper that broke down the areas into trees, putting green, rocks and creek.
I pounded nails 1" down from the ceiling along the wall of my studio, hung binder clips on them and clipped on a large piece of cotton batting. This became my design wall. I drew blue chalk lines where the center was in each direction and then drew a few more lines 10" apart horizontally. I designed this piece with my 2-1/2" x 4 1/2" rectangles, adding longer pieces in the putting green area. 4 rows of rectangles equaled 10" so the chalk lines kept the design from running downhill as I worked. I worked on it for about a month, one of the few times when I worked on just one project.

2 comments:

The Calico Cat said...

Neat-o! I love working with 2.5 x 4.5 rectangles. I call them bricks...

meggie said...

That is really fantastic. A huge project, but well worth the effort.
You give us so much information about how you do things. Thankyou.