Friday, November 2, 2007

Getting a quilt published

I had tossed around the idea of writing a book but it had never entered my mind that I might get quilts published in other peoples' books. Pepper Cory came to our guild in 1988 and taught us Crosspatch, using 2 block patterns together and designing with the individual pieces before we sewed the blocks together. She notified us later that she was writing a book and asked that we submit pictures of our finished quilts. This is the one I submitted and it was accepted. The book was published in 1989 and is out of print now.
Dover buys the rights to out of print books and they picked up this one and renamed it. They also changed the cover and included my quilt on the cover. Wow, was that exciting! This was back in the days before good cotton batting was available so the quilt has polyester batting and pointy corners.
I taught a class at our local community college based on the book. This is the one I made to contrast with my other one and to illustrate how different 2 quilts can be by emphasizing different areas with the prominent colors.
I did most of the quilting with rayon embroidery thread so it shines from the flash of the camera. (Click to enlarge).

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

The first one really pops,the second one is relaxing.Wig.

Featheronawire Sally Bramald said...

How cool is that

Hedgehog said...

Congrats!

Anonymous said...

I have thought so many times as I click into to your blog you should put these quilts into print. I for one would run out and buy the book in a minute. Again todays quilts are as exciting and wonderful as all the quilts you have shared with us since day one. And can see why they were chosen to put into the book.
J~MT

Joyce said...

How exciting to be published! It always amazes me how changing the fabric totally changes the look of the quilt.

meggie said...

How exciting for you! I love both of your versions of the quilt. It is amazing how different they can look, with different emphasis.
I think you should have your own book, too!

TB said...

Would you know how many books in which your work has been published?