Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Postcard from Paradise

In 1992 I was in another state giving workshops and in my down time at night I started sewing sets of 4 strips together. I had an idea for a quilt which became my Prismatic Garden series. This is the quilt that preceded the series with the use of the first strip pieced triangles. I had made the center section from 2 -1/2" x 4 -1/2" rectangles in a sort of colorwash. As I was trying to figure out what to border it with I started playing with the strip pieced triangles since they were from all of the same fabric group. I named it Postcard from Paradise because it reminded me of the shape of a postcard and the little tiny sailboat in one of the rectangles holds the sender of the postcard.
When I placed the triangles next to the center section I tried to match the color so that the border becomes part of the whole design, and you don't see a center section with a border around it. It wasn't totally successful but it was another step toward my learning curve.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Post card from Paradise" describes this quilt to a 'T'. Fabrics and design reflect every bit of Paradise.

J~MT

meggie said...

Wonderful! I am so glad you posted this. I have been going back to look at some of your old posts, & reminding myself I want to try some of these triangles.

Anonymous said...

Holy cow, that's one of the most vividly colored quilts I've ever seen. You consistently live up to your blog's name!

Denise Aumick said...

Yum, yum, yum....your work with color is inspirational!