Monday, November 12, 2007

Yes, I love triangles

In 1990 I started making colorwash quilts. Mostly I worked with squares but then I decided I should try triangles. The wash goes 2 different directions. The background starts with the light blue pinwheel in the upper left and the pinwheels get darker as they proceed toward the lower right corner. The second set of pinwheels are in one and down one square and go from dark in the upper left to light in the lower right. Then I just had to fill in the edge triangles. This gives high dark/light contrast in both corners with a middle section of mostly mediums where the 2 sets of pinwheels are crossing. Is that more than you ever wanted to know about this piece???LOL This is a smaller version of one of my charm quilts with the lightest lights in the center of the block and working out to darker lights as they get to the edge of the block.
All of the fabrics in these 2 pieces are from 1990 and earlier. It is interesting how fabrics have changed over the years.

5 comments:

Joyce said...

I was surprised to find that there are styles in quilting fabrics just like in clothes. I still like the old ones just as well as the new ones.

Barbara C said...

Even though these quilts are made from 90s fabrics, the color play makes them look fresh and original. I love the way older fabrics and trigger memories and nostalgia, but the way you've used them makes me think about how to use them so that they look contemporary. Beautiful work.

meggie said...

These fabrics are so pretty, when studied closely. I still think they look lovely.

Michael5000 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I can't decide whether to thank you for the interesting insight that, yeah, fabric really HAS changed during the time I've been quilting... or to curse you for yet another reminder of the passing of time.

I think I'll go with the thanks.

Remember how exciting it was when large numbers of batiks started showing up in shops? Hell, who am I kidding -- I still swoon at the sight of a shelf-full of batiks.....