Thursday, November 29, 2007

Starting a new project

I have almost finished a quilt, which I hope I can show you tomorrow. I'm working on the binding. I started it Dec. 26, 2006, had the borders on by April, basted it in Aug. or Sept. and quilted it in Nov. I started many other projects in between the steps, and now I am ready to start another new one. I got this new Kaffe Fassett book earlier this month. I love the quilt pictured on the cover, but it is made with solid color fabrics which I find fade much quicker than prints over time. I pulled out my Fossil Fern (Benartex) print fabrics and chose the colors that I think will work. The Kaffe print squares are leftover from the Star Trip quilt so I laid them on there for a visual. This is a simple quilt that will give me a color fix in this winter season. You may have noticed that I don't make a lot of complicated piecing quilts, I use simpler patterns and let the fabric do the exciting work. I have done a lot of the complicated patterns in the 50 years I have been quilting, and they don't make me anywhere near as happy as the simpler, more graphic ones.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Fosil Fern looks great with the Kaffe fabrics. You are so right about letting the fabric do the work. The simple quilts are almost always the ones that appeal to me as well. Now, if I could only MAKE simple quilts...

Joyce said...

I borrowed that book from the library. I have them trained to reserve any new quilting books that come in. Lol. I love the look of them and you are right, it's all about the fabric. Fossil Fern is hard to beat. I'm sure your new quilt will be fantastic, as usual.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Me, too... I love designs that allow the fabrics to really shine! And, when I give quilts as gifts, I've learned that it's all about the colors and the overall effect, not so much about the piecing.

Anonymous said...

And those colors are sure to warm things up on a cold winter's night!! Can't wait to see the recently completed piece and then this one when it's done. The Fossil ferns are one of my all-time favorites.

teri

The Calico Cat said...

ooo ooo ooo I can't wait to see you use those fossil ferns with the Kaffes!

You may have noticed that I don't make a lot of complicated piecing quilts, I use simpler patterns and let the fabric do the exciting work. I have done a lot of the complicated patterns in the 50 years I have been quilting, and they don't make me anywhere near as happy as the simpler, more graphic ones.

Me too! - well except for the 50 years bit...

Candy Schultz said...

I love Fassett's stuff. That looks like a yummy quilt. An orange quilt is on my to do list and I think I will do one of his as I never have. I only began stashing his fabric last month.

Anonymous said...

Wanda, You are true artist! I love the Exuberant Color choices, but I am unable to choose them myself? jmh

Tracey in CT said...

That is a lovely pattern, so simple and fabulous for showing off great fabrics.

I am loving your fabric choices!

mzjohansen said...

AHHHHHH!!!! All of my favorite colors! It's going to be wonderful !
I also have to agree - simpler is generally better - which is probably why so many simple patterns have endured - no?!