Saturday, November 10, 2007

Two Roses

This is a small piece, just 18-1/4" x 15". I had just heard of the technique of using 2 different colors of thread through one needle to simulate a color that wasn't available to me. I used a hot pink and coral together in one place and 2 shades of purple in another. It isn't readily available to anyone looking at the piece, even closely, that I did this. It was an experiment also instead of stitching in the ditch, stitching on the upper level of fabric to look like topstitching, like on the edges of collars or around pockets sewn on shirts. It was a challenge to keep an equal distance from the seam line all through the quilting.

I could have done this practicing on a throw away sample, but I like permanent samples of techniques which are dated by the fabrics I have used in them, current at the time of experiment.

4 comments:

Elsie Montgomery said...

This could be a rousing mat to use at the table for breakfast, or when you need a cheerful spot to put your afternoon tea! I like that topstitching effect too, particularly on this as it keeps your eyes moving to find out the next place it will happen.

meggie said...

Interesting to study, as LC says. Very cheery.
Some of my early 'in the ditch' quilting was done like that- accidentally! LOL.

Elaine Adair said...

You are an artist -- I look forward to every post. This is so interesting, just the 2 thread issue takes courage for some of us. Thanks again for COLOR!

Melody Johnson said...

Years ago when I worked at the bedspread factory, we used two threads through the needle for all the quilting. It was a HUGE needle and 20wt. threads. But then the bedspreads were designer cottons, with thick batting too. O I am glad those days are long gone.