Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Revisiting quilts

I am almost done cleaning for Thanksgiving and the bridal shower 2 days later. While doing all of this cleaning I have revisited my quilt closet as I put things away and found a few more that I hadn't taken pictures of. This is a pair of colorwash quilts that I made in 1991. We had a fender bender in Dec. 1990 and I had to go to court in Jan. '91 to testify against the other guy. I took a notebook of squared paper and sat there designing the 4 blocks. Naturally my case was last so I had plenty of time to design.
I made that wallhanging and later decided to make a miniature version of it with squares finishing at 1". The mini is one of my favorite quilts. Unfortunately its big sister has a binding that is a tad too tight and it doesn't hang well. I have never made time to redo it.
If you look closely, there is a squirrel up in the tree chewing on a nut. At least he is going to eat that one instead of planting another tree.
It is a another gray day here in Illinois. They are predicting an inch of snow tomorrow night.

7 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

What a nice fat squirrel - great photo! The squirrels here are skinnier but very active. Still miss the black ones we had in Michigan.

Hard to believe you have snow (you're only a few hours north of us) when it was 80 degrees here yesterday (rain moves in tonight along with cooler temps for the holiday weekend).

Glad your cleaning and rearranging is going well!

Elsie Montgomery said...

This quilt has some neat optical illusions in it. You have such a gift with color. Even though you live a fair distance, I feel as if I am taking lessons from you every morning!

And bless you for being so consistent too!

The Calico Cat said...

ahhhh an inch of snow sounds devine...

Although a foot or more of snow on Monday sounds so much better!

meggie said...

Lovely quilts! You have such an eye for design, as well as colour.

I love the photo of the Squirrel.
The one golden leaf clinging makes it too.

We are to have 30+ degrees here today. We have a funeral to attend.

Melody Johnson said...

If it does snow, would you take pictures for me?

Rose Marie said...

Of all the colourwash quilts you have shown, so far this one gets my fav. vote.
Snow ... we're expecting a couple of inches tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

That's a nice old treasure to find. It may just be me, but the pattern has a bit of a runic feel to it -- symbols you'd find inscribed on a mysterious door on the surface of another planet!