Friday, November 16, 2007

Nature's colors

I had been complaining that my burning bushes weren't turning red. Well all it took was a couple more frosts and in a week it turned. Yesterday when I came home the sun was shining on the bush and it was the brightest red I have ever seen it. The barberry bushes turn color too. If I had ever helped anyone trim their barberry bush, I never would have planted any. Since I was a novice with bushes I planted 5 of them. I have learned to wear heavily coated gloves when working around these bushes whether cleaning up in the spring, or removing dead branches.
Some years the evening primrose leaves turn color, some years they don't. This was a good year for them.
The goldmound spirea is dropping leaves pretty fast, but the ones left are turning into a showy display.

6 comments:

The Calico Cat said...

Louvre these colors! & the YELLOWS!

(You'd think that all of the real stuff would motivate me to work on my fall UFO...)

Melody Johnson said...

We are thinking about Burning bushes for our yard. They always looked so good this time of year. Yours certainly do too.

Vicki W said...

Lovely photos! Driving in to work today I wished I had my camera with me. The trees here are just perfect right now. I think I'll go out tomorrow morning and see if I can capture some of it.

meggie said...

While you have your flaming crimson bushes, we have all these wonderful fresh limes & pale apple greens. They are so full & beautiful, & I suppose it is because we had some recent really good rainfalls that they seem extra full & frothy.

TB said...

Nice inspirational colors.

Michael5000 said...

That "burning bush" is just UNREAL! The only way to get foliage like that here is with Japanese maples; otherwise, pretty much everything either drops its leaves or stays green....