Wednesday, October 31, 2007

I just had to see if I could do it

I was stacking pieces laying on my cutting table and when these 2 ended up together, I thought that is kind of interesting, I wonder if I can remember how to "set in" one piece into another.

I started by marking the size "hole" I would need and sewing around it with a straight stitch.
Then I cut the "hole" 1/4" in from the stitching line.
I clipped into the corners.
Then I started sewing the patch into place with 1/4" seam.
Sewing in the last side.


The finished piece. Now I just have to decide what to make it into.

10 comments:

Featheronawire Sally Bramald said...

Well done, I'd have got myself in knots trying to explain that!

Joyce said...

you are ambitious with four set in seams! I'm sure you will think of some use for it.

Elsie Montgomery said...

Wanda, you are so much fun! That strata alone is delightful, never mind insetting your wonky patch into it. Nice. Can't wait to see what's next!

Btw, have you every made a kaleidoscope in the Ricky Tims style? This strata reminds me that I want to try another one.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

lc, I'll have to look up the Ricky Tims kaleidoscope. I'm not sure what it is but I like his work.
Wanda

Anonymous said...

Whimsical strips of color with an additional block of contemporary whimsy. Such a fun happy piece! Thanks for the instructions on insets, I know I will never try that. (*._,*) I'd end up with it so 'kitty whompus' I'd be in tears.

J~MT

Vicki W said...

Love it - it would be a really cool journal cover!

meggie said...

It reminded me a little of doing the inset pockets on a garment!
Lovely colours- as usual.

The Idaho Beauty said...

Good for you to follow up immediately on the accidental pairing. But you are much more ambitious than I. I just would have appliqued the small piece onto the bigger piece!

I too really like this. Perhaps you could add a crazy border based on the center square.

Anonymous said...

Oh kewl.... Maybe it's done? Slap a back on it, quilt it, add a thin black border, and it's a miniture wall hanging packed with, uh, exhuberant color!

KateKwiltz said...

This is very helpful, thanks! I missed the "stitching around the hole" step, which would have made it a little more stable. Maybe next time!