Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Almost done

I sewed the blocks together last night and hung it up on my design wall. I put the smaller triangles up to get an idea how it looks. In the pattern they want you making all of the smaller triangles out of the same 2 fabrics where I made mine out of a variety. I also cut 2 strips of the wavy print that I was thinking of using for the rest of the border. At this point I am waffling, do I continue using the directions or do I go off and do my own thing? I could really see a border of a color before the other border, and what if it was a mix of color and black and white for the outer border? Hmmm. This piece may have to stew awhile before it gets finished. Meanwhile this is grocery day for my elderly parents and me so I have time to think about it.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

How about a small red border before the black wavey border. I like black and one,but it needs a shocker color.Wig.

Barbara C said...

That ripple fabric is great. I sometimes use multiple border fabrics. I use one in opposite corners (eg, your small windmills) and fill in with another fabric (eg, your ripples) in the rest. I like the combination in your current composition. It does add extra movement.

Elaine Adair said...

Letting it "stew" sounds like a good thing -- this is looking very interesting. Yes, some color eventually -- nothing expected though - not red, not black - something chartreuse, fusia, a small mixture of riotous color -- can't wait to see what you come up with.

Elsie Montgomery said...

I'm thinking as Elaine, not red as that is predictable. Surprise us! Funny, I like the uneven, unfinished borders. Do quilts always have to be square or rectangular?

Have fun!!

Denise Aumick said...

This looks pretty cool and - I'm sure - you will find just the right color (or not) to add.

meggie said...

Those wavy fabric borders are perfect. It will be interesting to see what you do decide. It is very effective.

Joyce said...

Chuck the directions and go for it. I'd think a bit of color would be good but I agree with Elaine. Something unexpected. Love the ripple fabric.

Quiltdivajulie said...

I vote for "go off and do my own thing" -- love the wavy border print, especially laid below the smaller pinwheels (borders don't have to be "uniform" after all); I can see a few small flashes of color (clear, strong, certain) strategically positioned... really like the concept of the pattern, but you'll be happiest if you make it your own. Happy pondering!