Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Tote bag

While my daughter was here she mentioned that she needed a larger tote bag. I have had lots of ideas rattling around in my head for totes but hadn't gotten around to trying them. I wanted to make one that had the outside bag cut all in one piece (no bottom seam) and with the continuous handle straps that go under the bottom of the bag for even more support. When the local big box store was discontinuing their fabric I snatched up several pieces of canvas weight fabric at a very good price. The large paisley print is one of the brand new Kaffe fabrics that was on sale last week at a local quilt shop. I lined and quilted the paisley fabric and it is pockets on the outside of the bag. The center pocket on each side is perfect for a water bottle. The side pockets are divided by the side seam so I sewed across them about half way up so there are 4 short, small pockets.
I quilted one more piece of the paisley fabric and made an inside pocket. I did all of this while she was gone to her class reunion. Now I want to make more totes incorporating this style.

7 comments:

mzjohansen said...

It's a wonderful tote - and will serve your lucky daughter well for a long time !

Elsie Montgomery said...

What an exuberant tote bag! You picked such a lovely fabric too. I'm wanting to make some for my daughter/granddaughters and again, you inspire me!

Joyce said...

It's beautiful and I like the continuous straps for strength.

Lila Rostenberg said...

Maybe I need to make something like this as a diaper bag for my daughter...baby due in November...

meggie said...

What a wonderful bag. Your daughter is very lucky!

Dixie Redmond said...

You are a great mom and that bag is beautiful.

TB said...

I have a fellow quilter/neighbor who just finished a large tote. So between the two of you, I'm feeling inspired to make one too! Very nice tote, I'm sure the recipient will treasure it.