Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Patchwork from the past

In 1984 I cut charm packs of 150 different fabrics (5") for a friend who had booths at the Houston and Paducah quilt shows. For those of you who aren't familiar with charm quilts, they were quilts made with each fabric used only once and were usually one patch quilts, all pieces the same shape. I still have one of the packs and I'll take a picture and post it later.

While I was cutting the charm packs I also cut 1-1/2" strips from the same colors and put them in a box. My daughter got married in August that year so the house was cleaned to be presentable for company and no sign of any hobbies was to be seen. Since I am stimulated by piles and jumbles, I was truly lost after the wedding and everyone had gone home. I stumbled across the box with the strips, got out the sewing machine and just started making log cabin blocks, with nothing special in mind. Then I remembered an antique quilt I had seen in one of the engagement calendars.
I looked for the picture and found it and this is my version of the quilt which I made into a tablecloth, no batting, with just a backing and lace edging.
Close ups of the lovely calicoes that we all loved so much back then.
I liked that tablecloth so much that I decided to make another. This one is from the directions in one of the Trudie Hughes books which was our first introduction to all rotary cut measurements, no templates. I made this in 1986 or 1987, shortly after closing my quilt shop.
A close up of the fabrics and the lace edging. I always used a heavy clear plastic tablecloth over these cloths which I think was considered tacky, but the tablecloths are in brand new condition which makes me happy.

5 comments:

mzjohansen said...

Two of my favorite patterns! I don;t think there is anything as great as a log cabin! For some reason I never got around to making anything out of the other pattern - but I sure do love it ! Your quilt shop must have been a wonderful,creative, place to be!

antique quilter said...

the log cabin you made is just great!
what fun fabrics to look at again.
Kathie

meggie said...

I love that log cabin quilt! I am glad it is in good condition, still.
They are both lovely!

Anonymous said...

Wednesday's blog was such fun, I STILL have many of those same pieces of fabric in my stash. I just got them out to use again. Calico's still make me smile.

J~ MT.

Jan said...

I think I recognize every single fabric in your log cabin!