Thursday, October 11, 2007

Baby trips around the world

Tonight I teach the third part of a Trip Around the World class. I always had one or more quilts in progress to show how to do each step. Since I taught it about 6 times a year for about 7 years I made a lot of baby quilts. I have sold some, given some away, and still own a few. I really like this one even thought the purple, red, gold, yellow range is more my favorites than the blue green range. That is why I push myself to make quilts in all different color ranges. It is an education of how color works, even when you are not expecting it. Here is a close up of some of the fabrics used.
I really like this blue and yellow one too but it doesn't take a good picture. It is surprising to me how it looks so pink in one area in a photo and in person all I really notice is the blue and yellow.
Another close up of the fabrics used.

8 comments:

Joyce said...

I'll be trying one of those when I've built up my stash a bit.

Quiltdivajulie said...

What very lucky babies to receive one of your beautiful quilts!

The Calico Cat said...

neat... I took a TATW class that had an unusual method - one of the "quadrants" was bigger than the rest - that is how you go the center square.... (I previously had done it with equal quadrants and 1 long skinny for the center...) Do either of these sound familiar?

I like both of these colorations - especially the lavendar & yellow - I takes a lot for my brain to comprehend that combo as I always use blue & yellow... (I use green with lavendar & I have used orange with lavendar - both "worked.")

Vicki W said...

Those are really pretty quilts! Do you think that the pink effect is from the eye blending the colors within the small print (the purple and yellow) to blend into pink? I can't leave my color theory alone can I?!

meggie said...

Lovely colours! Lovely fabrics.
I have never done one of these. One day....
I am always surprised to see how different some quilts look, once they are photographed.

Elaine Adair said...

Oh girl, that first child's quilt is just delicious! Lucky kid who gets it!

Lots of other really good things to look at, on your blog, but that's all I can oogle over for now!

TB said...

Both very nice TATW quilts!

Silverthimble said...

Wanda: I love your version of the TATW. I have only ever seen this quilt made out of squares--not rectangles. What size does your rectangle finish? It seems from the picture that you use prints rather than solid fabrics, however, the pieces of fabric are small enough that they almost read as solids. Very effective!