Saturday, October 20, 2007

Colorwash again

This is the other quilt that made it into the AQS show in 1992. It is called "Colorwash-4 Pinwheels". I started making my colorwash quilts in 1990. I had long admired the work by Diedre Amsden of England, having seen the first pieces in a book in 1987. I started gathering the fabrics I thought would work and just started making the quilts. I was asked to teach a workshop on colorwash in early 1991 so I though I had better have more that the one piece the workshop chairman had seen. This was at the time of the Gulf War and I worked on the dining room table in full view of the TV. This was my effort to put some peace in the world. I feel that colorwash quilts are very calming. This one was completed in January, 1991 and it hangs in my bedroom. You can see just a little of the purple wall around the edges.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am running out of adjectives! This one is indeed one of my favorites! It is everything you describe. Beautiful, peaceful, dreamy, and full of extrodinary artistery!

J~ MT

Anonymous said...

I remeber this from Kentucky. i STILL like it.Wig.

meggie said...

I love this too. It makes me think of a garden, with the gentle dappled sunlight shining through the leaves of the trees. I can almost see them moving in a breeze.
It is beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Nice! Colorwash quilts were what first interested me in quilting; I bought the Amsden book for my mom, off of her Christmas wish list, and thought "wow!"

I like the palette you used with this one!