Monday, October 22, 2007

Class Situations

I have taken a lot of quilting classes over the years and I don't always do well under pressure in a class. My mind goes blank. First of all my workplace is way too clean and organized on the table they provide for me and I thrive with piles of scraps and yardage and general clutter. I made this piece at a Therese May workshop at QSDS. Our first project was to make a "doll" of some sort and when it came time for the main art piece that we would be working on, I just took my doll shape and used it again.  I decided to just do a little of everything she taught us on this one project. If you have seen her work you know she uses dabs and dots of paint on most of her pieces. I had never really used paint at all before this so it was definitely an experiment.
I used double needle quilting, paint to hold a patch in place, dots of paint to outline the "person"
buttons tied on with hand dyed thread and the tails of thread left hanging, charms tied on. Two of the fabrics have faded quite a bit, the black and white check and the lavender shooting off above the head. This little piece is titled "Magic Wand(a)" and is one of my self portraits.
The class was a lot of fun, a time of just relaxing and playing. Every piece can't be serious or stuffy!
Here is a link to Therese May.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a real winner.it looks like SOMEONE i know, a friend of mine. Wig.

Anonymous said...

Wanda, I'm happy to see that the heart on that self-portrait is intact!

meggie said...

Thanks for sharing your touching self portrait. Perhaps I should try one.

Denise Aumick said...

This is fabulous! You are a multi-talented woman. I'm going to go check out Therese's work now.
Denise

Dixie Redmond said...

Wanda - I think it's great that you know you thrive on "piles of scraps and yardage and general clutter." I do, too, but I still feel guilty about it. And it has to be the right ratio of clutter - just enough to feel lived in, not so much that I can't walk through my workroom. ;-)