Friday, October 5, 2007

The olden days

When I got married my dad's sister, Aunt Mary gave me these dish towels as a wedding present. Aunt Mary made quilts and made all of her girls clothes but I only saw her about a dozen times in my life. Although I loved her handiwork I didn't have any direct contact with her because she lived too far away. When we got our Christmas box from her family, I wasn't looking for the Christmas presents, I was looking for the hand me down clothing from one of her twins that she always sent along in this package. The twins were fraternal twins and one had dark hair like me and the other had dark blonde like my other 2 cousins that lived closer to me. When I was in 5th grade they built a large school for all the kids in 5 districts and there were all of 50 of kids in the new school. Since we had all come from one room schoolhouses this was a really big adventure. At the previous school there were only 3 girls, me and my 2 friends, one 2 years younger than me and one 3 years younger. We had this picture taken of us at the new school in 1951. I am the one in the middle.

5 comments:

Diane said...

"Little Lotta" dishtowels--too cute!

Elaine Adair said...

I recognized them as "Little Lulu" - the only comic book I ever read. Now I wonder if there was a LIttle Lotta ???

NOstalgic picture of young girls - not they would have earrings, tattoos, and bellybuttons showing! LOL.

I am salivating, after looking at your beautiful explosions of color! Lovely, exciting, inspirational.

meggie said...

Lovely photo of 3 pretty, happy young girls. The clothes of that era were so nice weren't they! My mother used to make my clothes, & she sewed beautifully.
I thought the dishtowels were Little Lulu.

Mechelle said...

Love your stories!! I also just love the 50's photo - soooo cute and all girly!!

Anonymous said...

hi Wanda,love the little Lulu dish towels,Keep up the good BLOG site.Wig.