Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Quilt stories

I am always amazed at how you can tell a story about each and every quilt you have made. says my friend Louise. This is because my quilts aren't just a hobby, they are my life. Almost every job I have held has been related to sewing. When I make a quilt it is an event in my life. Because they take considerable time to make, each quilt has a history of what is happening in that time period woven into it. I know people who make quilts and it is a labor they resent and they can't wait to get done with it. I have the opposite feeling, when the quilt is finished I have an empty feeling because something I loved doing has come to an end. It is like a good book that you want more of when you get to the last page. I can date a lot of my quilts by what was going on in my life when I was making the quilt. I hope all of you readers love making your quilts too and that they are full of memories.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is so interesting reading that each quilt made during a period of your life, reflecting that time frame, is now history memory for you. We all look and admire your work you have shared with us and each quilt you make tells us a magical story. Affecting each of us in different ways, it is interesting to read what others see and feel looking at the same quilt. You express yourself in so many ways, verbally and through your needleart work. Thank you for all your inspiration. J~ in MT.

The Calico Cat said...

This sounds a lot like what Judy Martin said in her last newsletter.

Anonymous said...

Hi Wanda
As usual i enjoyed your blog.
I love to see Kaffe and what you do with his fabrics.
I think I need to purchase some
more.

meggie said...

I love making quilts, & particularly the ones I have made personal for my family.
I think somehow the love in making them shows when they are finished.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Like you, each of my quilts has a story ~ why certain fabrics were included, the choice of design, evolution of the project, etc. And many of the quilts I make are gift quilts so then there are all of those bits and pieces added in. I have an essay or quotation(s) or poem or my own writing for each and every quilt, along with photos stored in fat notebooks. I'm a bit behind for this year, but will catch it up a little along before year end. So many memories...

TB said...

Yes! My quilts are a journey and although inspired by something or someone in my life, the quilt itself becomes part of my journey. When I finish a quilt, I have a sense of loss and emptiness, as we've spent so much time together during the making process. Even making the quilt has an element of stress (deadline), I feel that loss when the last stitch is made the the knot embedded. Most of my quilts have gone to other people, so when I have a chance to see one of my quilts again, it's like meeting a friend after separation.