Thursday, October 4, 2007

Where the quilts live

Elsie asked me in the comments one day, what do I do with all of my quilts. I bought this nice cupboard last year to finally have some of the quilts where I can see them instead of them being in a dark closet. In here are baby quilts and bed quilts, and a few lap quilts. These are the ones I don't mind having fold marks in.
There are still a bunch in here that I haven't shown to you yet. More posts in my future! 4 quilts are on beds. This is the guest bed with one quilt folded across the foot of the bed.
I have 9 quilts hanging on walls, a pile of newly finished ones on a bench, and the rest are folded as little as possible and are in a hall closet. I have given away a lot of quilts, some on the spur of the moment when someone admires it. I usually don't remember what I gave to who in this case, all I remember is that I gave them away. I have sold many quilts over the 49 years I have been making them. I would like to sell some more and have contemplated starting a second blog for this purpose.

A big thank you to all who responded yesterday to my question. I have posted 114 times in 92 days so far. I have the urge to post more than once a day and have to hold myself back. This isn't because I have nothing else to do, it is because I have so much I would like to share. I appreciate all of your insight into my query.





17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the idea of a quilt cabinet for storage. They are always on view for all to see.
LD

Quiltdivajulie said...

What a great cabinet!! My quilts are draped over the backs of chairs/couch, on beds, hung on the wonderful folding-screen-like quilt rack my husband made (displays 8 quilts), and there are 6 on the walls (with 2 more hanging near my desk at work). I've asked my hubby to build me a quilt ladder for Christmas ... One can never have too many spots of color!!!

Featheronawire Sally Bramald said...

Most of mine are under my bed in those big zipped bags. One day I wonder if the bed shall rise off the floor. So of transcendental meditation quilting (grin).

Elsie Montgomery said...

Wow, what a lovely piece of furniture to hold your works of art! We are in the process of redoing our bedroom... hardwood replacing carpet, new furniture too, including a big cupboard that will hold quilts. Drat, it doesn't have glass doors though!

I've also 8 on the walls, one on a bed, several stashed on closet shelves, and a few on tables. Many have gone to new homes and that is the best storage place in my opinion!

Candy Schultz said...

Do you give them away on the spur of the moment when someone admires them online? Heh heh. Cuz I like them all.

Chris@Cats On My Quilts said...

Here's a question-when do you sleep? Seems like you are able to produce so many quilts! My problem is that work gets in the way of my quilting.

Joyce said...

I really like your quilt display. I don't really have that many on hand but someday...

Vicky aka Stichr said...

I don't mind you posting all the time because I don't mind seeing new things all the time....

meggie said...

I just love to see all your quilts, Wanda.
That cupboard is fabulous for display.
I keep some in a box in the lounge, & SG gets them all out to make Cubby houses & they are handy if someone is cool. I have given away more than I have kept, & have sold a few. I never really thought about selling them, but a friend begged me to sell some to her.
That quilt on the foot of the bed looks wonderful- full picture please?

Anonymous said...

Wanda,
You're becoming addictive.
(I mean that kindly!!) jh

Rose Marie said...

Love to see quilts displayed this way as well as on the walls, beds ..... Have you tried folding your quilts on the bias? They do take up less room when folded this way and you would be able to get more quilts in that cabinet.

Denise Aumick said...

The colors are like nirvana all tucked away, tickling us in that cabinet. If I were in that room my eyes would never veer to far away from looking at the front of that cabinet. Remember to ask me how to spell my name so you get it right when you package these up to mail to me.

Diane said...

I haven't been to your house since you got the display cabinet. It looks fabulous. My mom offerred me a glass cabinet for my quilts. The only place I can think of to put it is where the piano stands.

Vicki W said...

That cabinet is beautiful and it would look REALLY nice in my house! I am hoping to look for a quilt chest or cabinet when I go to Houston later this month. I love your posts - keep 'em comin'!

TB said...

All I can say is "WOW"!

Anonymous said...

Do your know the old saying " I want to pick your brain"
well this how I feel when I read your "blog" thank you so much for sharing your insights about quilting and about life too, I do not post much cause!!!! I do not have much time, perhaps I will " one day" when I do I hope to be as insightful as your are, Again thank you for sharing with us "me" you wonderful colorful quilts.
Carmen in Chula Vista

Bobbie said...

I can't say enough about your work..awesome is not enough!