Friday, October 26, 2007

Miscellaneous

One last late summer bloomer, along with dead leaves from a tree and grass gone to seed, is this coreopsis. This is a postcard that has been in progress all year. First I added a little hand embroidery,
and then I added the little plastic worm. When reading several other blogs that others are having trouble sewing the edge of postcards, it made me wonder if they knew they had to change to a sewing foot with a cut out area on the bottom so the lump of the edging doesn't get caught. On my machine it is referred to as an embroidery foot and should be used for all embroidery type stitches.
This is the back of the postcard. This was a free design offered awhile back for embroidery machines but needed to be resized to fit the 4" x 6" postcard.
I think I have identified this tree as a black ash. At first I thought it was a hickory, but the leaves are all similar size and the hickory usually has the end 3 leaves larger than the rest.

Julie has a woodworking husband who suggested a tree site that helps identify trees by leaf type. It was great and makes me want to go out and look for other trees to identify, LOL, like I need a new hobby!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Knowing you~ I wouldn't be surprised if you did start a new hobby. You'd work it in somehow. (*._,*) So how 'bout a leaf quilt?
Such intricate work on your postcard, again it is a mini beauty.

J~MT

meggie said...

Your postcard is a joy.
I dont think I have ever seen a tree such as the one whose leaves you showed. I love trees, & am quite observant of their variety of leaves.

Quiltdivajulie said...

So glad the link proved to be useful!!

Anonymous said...

I think the leaves are a bit big for an ash...looks like a butternut.....but, if there are no nuts then it's an ash!

teri