Friday, October 19, 2007

More charms

I made this Ocean Waves variation also in a set of two because of the piecing technique. My daughter has its mate in NC so I can't take a digital of it. Hers is stars in each individual color instead of multicolor as in the 2 previous quilts yesterday. This one hung on the wall above my couch for several years. It has 809 different fabrics and was made in 1990. This is my famous charm quilt, Bricks. It hung in the 1992 AQS quilt show in Paducah, KY and was also in the AQS quarterly magazine the following year. It took me a looooong time to put the binding on all of these points. This one has 961 different fabrics. It is 96" x 96" so I don't have a wall big enough to photograph it on on so the bottom edge
is shown in these 2 pictures. This one was inspired by a pink and brown antique quilt pictured in some issue of Ladies Circle Patchwork Quilts magazine.

10 comments:

Vicki W said...

I am so glad you are posting some of your earlier work. I wasn't following the quilting world in the early 90's so I missed seeing your Bricks quilt. It's breathtaking!

The Calico Cat said...

Wow.... This goes to show that even though your fabric may be "dated" it still can make a pretty quilt. These still are stunners even though the fabric is not brand spanking new!

Quiltdivajulie said...

What a LOT of different fabrics ~ your work is spectacular. Thank you so much for sharing your charm quilts!!! I love the way you've used the colors...

[I've made one charm quilt (for the queen bed in our guest room) using several groups of warm toned Moda charm squares.]

Barbara C said...

Thanks for sharing these beauties!

Anonymous said...

Holy cow, these are GREAT! I like the Ocean Waves even more than the famous one! : )

meggie said...

These are both stunning quilts! I just love them, & cannot imagine binding all those points!
I love seeing your early work, which to me, is not dated at all.

Anonymous said...

Man, you are brave to bind all those points!! Just thinking about it scares me. Your persistence was worth it though because the quilt is really wonderful. But you knew that already :-)

Elsie Montgomery said...

Beautiful, Wanda. Thank you for posting these and delighting our hearts! (never mind challenging our creativity!)

Diane said...

Hmmm, I only counted 960 fabrics in your Bricks quilt (just kidding). That zig-zag binding is amazing!

Chookyblue...... said...

Wow I do love the edge on this one..... So effective the Zig zag.