Monday, October 8, 2007

Film Strip, 3 frames

That is what I named this piece, Film Strip 3 Frames, after seeing the film roll ends laying in the bathroom/darkroom after many of Dad's developing sessions when I was a child. The squares running along each side reminded me of the holes on the sides of the film strip. I made this piece back in the early 1990's soon after I met Melody Johnson, because that is one of her blue dyed fabrics as the background around the film strip. A lot of the quilting lines were done with silver metallic thread, which really just looks like gray in the pictures.

Instead of quilting in the ditch, I quilted on the "upper level" which is really topstitching, like we did on the edge of a pocket or on the edge of a collar when making garments.
The batiks used in this piece are typical of the early 1990's mostly turquoise, pink, gray, and purple. Red, orange, yellow and green batiks were rather rare back then. This is the reason you need to always be adding to your stash. There are time periods when certain colors are scarce and if you buy them when you see them, you will always have a good selection on hand when an idea hits you.

5 comments:

Joyce said...

IT really does look like film. I agree about adding to your stash. I recently realized that I have almost no yellow so I have started collecting yellows when I see nice ones. Also you can never have too much black and white for contrast when you love bright colors.

Vicki W said...

As if any of us need more reasons for stash-building! LOL! Very cool piece, it really does remind of a film strip.

Hedgehog said...

Very cool piece. It's funny how colors go in and out of style - I understand for clothing, but in quilting fabric, it can be frustrating!

meggie said...

I can't seem to get enough pink! I agree with Joyce that B& W is wonderful for contrast with bright colours!
That does look like film strip. Lovely, I like the edge quilting stitching.

TB said...

Beautiful fabrics and colors in this film strip! I like! It really does evoke the image of a film strip. Funny you should have this, reminds me of my walk the other day. A strip of negatives were lying on the road edge. I just had to pick it up to look at the images. One was a picture of three rocking chairs in a row. Thanks for sharing this. I would have never thought to make a quilt of this type of image.