Friday, August 30, 2024

Finish #4 for August 2024


This quilt is tricky to photograph.  If I use auto adjust in my editing program, it gives the pinks a blue cast so I didn't use it.

I don't feel the necessity to name every quilt but I have to have something to call it when I refer to it.  This one has just been Hearts and 4 Patches so far.  It has Hobbs 80/20 batting in it and it is 59" x 76".


I bought a couple big yardage pieces of pink prints for backings at a good sale price and this butterfly print is one of them.  The binding is an Alexander Henry deep pink stripe.







After I finished the binding and photography on that quilt I looked through some project boxes for inspiration.  I overcut...a lot of 6" triangles of Kaffe collective fabrics when I made my pink/green and pink/blue quilt tops.






I looked through the Kaffe "spot" fabrics and pulled this gray and white dots. It isn't as dark as it looks here.  This reminded me of the big pink/gray fad of 1956 when I was in high school.  I could make a zig zag quilt with these, or just an all triangle squares quilt.  It could be named 1956.


The next box has over three hundred 4.5" finished 9 patch blocks, 3 of each combination.  They were made this spring when I made this quilt top.  I closed this box quickly and put it back on the shelf.




The third box has die cut pieces that I paid someone to cut for me because I didn't have a die cutter yet.  There are enough pieces for 16 blocks.  Here is the post the last time I opened this box and the quilt top that I made with 30 sets of pieces.  I still haven't decided if I want to sew more of these blocks so this box went back on the shelf too.

I have done really well so far this year emptying project boxes and making/finishing quilt tops.  In fact probably half of the tops made were from started projects.  I might have to make a collage photo of them for my own reference.

17 comments:

Donna said...

I just bought the the Accuquilt Go Big die cutter...Hopefully, I'll learn how to use it before 2026! lol
LOVE the quilt! Turned out SO pretty!
hugs
Donna

cityquilter grace said...

ooh love that dot fabric...ideal for any kaffe inspired quilt...

Kathy said...

1956 sounds like a great idea for the pink/gray! I'm a bit younger but certainly remember that color time. It's still a great combo!

Julierose said...

Hearts quilt is so pretty all those lovely pinks:)))
You have a lot of parts cut to make blocks ahead of you... with great colors...
58 here this morning and overcast once more...but nice to have cooler temps... hugs for a good weekend Julierose

patty a. said...

Congratulations on another finish! The pink heart quilt is so pretty! Sounds like you have a lot of projects/blocks squirreled away. It is good that you are making a dent emptying boxes and turning them into quilts. I need to make some time to get my fabric storage room straightened up. It is such a mess right now with projects and fabric piled up.

Linda said...

What a beautiful finish, love the hearts, love the pinks, and the backing is perfect.

Mary said...

I really enjoyed your exploration of project boxes for inspiration. What a treasure trove!

Nann said...

The hearty quilt is lovely! And new projects in the planning -- yippee!

Quiltdivajulie said...

I had that same trouble photographing my pink quilt and I think your plan for the pinks/gray dot is a really good one. Those sewn 9 patches are so pretty -- I get why you put the box back but if they turned out as well together as the one you made in April, wow.

JJM said...

What a grand post today Wanda…. Your Hearts and Blocks just melt my heart (I have a thing for hearts) and this quilt is stunning. With a ‘Passion for Pink’ it couldn’t be any more beautiful. And your array of project boxes was so fun to see and look forward to seeing what project you’ll create next… and of course I remember the pink and gray fad from 1956 !

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I don't remember the name of the pattern of the last photo you show - I am thinking I have that die but have not used it still. I will need to check. I know what you mean about naming quilts a lot of times I just refer to it as the name of the pattern - I have run out of names for quilts over the years.

Barbara Anne said...

Applause for the hearts quilt's finish!! It could be called Bazooka or Double Bubble to recall those bubble gums of the 1950s.
Delicious 9 Patches and the die cut blocks for some other time and I look forward to see what you do next, a zig-zag quilt with the triangles or something else!
You're amazing!

Hugs!

LG said...

I love your pink quilts!

Vicki W said...

What a sweet quilt! You have done a great job of working through project boxes this year!

Kristin said...

I'm not a big pink person but I love your hearts quilt! And I love the Winding Ways top you had a link for - so much movement in it!

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

Your pink quilt is a Mary Poppins one - practically perfect in every way! It is so sweet!
And thank you for making me feel better about having more leftovers from a quilt than I used in the quilt. Or at least it looks like it!
I think I've made two of the winding ways quilts and I don't particularly want to make any more. ;)

Lynn Dykstra said...

I am someone who dislkes heart quilts. Then here you go and show a fabulous one that has me questioning myself.