Thursday, August 8, 2024

Second quilt................


I wanted to use the Strips 'n Curves templates for the second quilt so I cut a few pieces of assorted Terrie Mangat fabric and played with some layouts.  I'm not sure I like any of it so far.  I can always use the cut pieces to make blocks to use in the backing of the first quilt.



There are 4 shapes that can be used.  In this one the quarter circle is in one piece and in the photo above it is 2 pieces.





I have another stripe that I can use too.  I didn't have it down in the basement when I was cutting these pieces.





I started out cutting the people fabric on the straight grain and now I'm not sure that is going to look good.






If you look closely there is a quarter circle template laying on top of the fabric at a 45 degree angle to the grainline.  That is my fluorescent bulbs reflected on the template.  This is likely the direction I will have to go if I decide to stay with this pattern.


This is the smaller quarter circle template at the same 45 degree angle.  I will have to cut a few more pieces before I decide if this is a go.




These are the 3 fabrics I haven't used so far.  I have 2 yards of the one on the left and thought it would be part of the backing for quilt 1.  I don't need to save it for that though.  I think I would have to add some additional black fabric to make this work.  I'll be thinking about another option in the meantime.  Time to trim a quilt and start doing some binding.


(EH- I have been trying to answer your emails but I am getting a temporary failure message every time I try.)

13 comments:

Julierose said...

I have a hard time using fabrics like these TM ones. I just cannot bring myself to cut into them easily...I like the arcs idea--I feel they all demand to be the star!! I am interested to see where this is going, Wanda...if anyone can pull it off, you can ;)))
Only 62 degrees here with a similar dewpoint so it is humid and cool...At least we are able to turn off our overworked AC...
Hugs, Julierose

Kathy said...

The angle is going to be less important than having a whole figure in each quarter. I've done one very like this and it really didn't matter which direction the figures went as long as there was an almost whole person. Looks like fun!

Linda Swanekamp said...

Looks like a complicated cutting project. The fabrics are so fun so it is probably worth it. I love curves.

Linda said...

Man, I'd have trouble cutting those fabulous fabrics - so fun. I really love that first block. Don't worry about responding to my comment, I'm just a fawning fan-girl - lol!

Kathy said...

I love the curves too! Gives it movement.

Sally Langston Warren said...

As usual, Wanda, you have me looking at fabrics in a different way. I can see now how the figures in the fabric can be treated as design elements of the fabric and not so much as the subject of the fabric. When you turn it side ways or angled and don’t feature the whole image in one cut piece, you can focus more on the color combinations and line configurations…..then notice there are more details (faces, hands, etc) that you didn’t see at first. The thrill of discovery, if you will. I really like the curved pieces and look forward to what you do with that. I wonder how some Marcia Derse fabrics would mix with these. Love how you are cutting up these treasure fabrics and playing with them. I am learning to do that. If I continue to “save” my fabrics for the perfect project, I may die in the meantime and never have the pleasure of using it.

Mary said...

I think you are right about the orientation for cutting the fabric. It will be a challenge if you go this route, but will make for a very interesting quilt.

Nancy said...

Great fabrics! You'll set yourself a challenge to fussy cut the people print, but it does look quite nice. Look forward to seeing how these go together.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I do like all those fabrics and colors - pretty wild!

JJM said...

Wow ~ all those curves in one block is pretty spectacular… and I know you always stitch them with perfect precision. Anxious to see what you will come up with next.

patty a. said...

These blocks are freakin' fabulous! I love the combination of fabrics - stripe like fabrics next to dots next to scatter prints and all the crazy colors! I wouldn't worry about fussy cutting the people fabric, but I know you like to have some order to your work. I look forward to see how this quilt progresses!

Barbara Anne said...

I'm back after a week away because our sons were finishing my new computer by transferring the photos, emails, and stuff from my old computer so need to play catch-up here.
What amazing blocks and fabrics your experimenting with! I'd be hard put to use some of your pictured fabrics and would likely use them as backings so I wouldn't have to think so hard!
It's always a delight to see what you're dreaming up.
Hurricane Debby is passing by just west of us and we'll have a lot of rain in the next 36 hours if the forecast is correct.

Hugs!

Vicki W said...

That looks like a fun quilt too!