Saturday, August 31, 2024

A mock up, a question, and what's happening outside......................


I wanted to be sure I liked this idea before I cut up 2 1/2 yards of "spot" fabric into triangles.  I think it is a go!





A question: I'm still going through everything for more offerings in a destash sale or 2 or 3.  Laurel Burch fabric is one of the categories which I have lots more than I need.  I'm stumped as to how to offer it.  I realize it will only appeal to a smaller group of people.


Your answer to my question in no way obligates you to buy any.  If I were offering a designer line (think any designer, not just Laurel Burch) would you be more inclined to buy 6 half yards, 12 quarter yards, or for more variety 24 fat 8ths.  That would be a total of 3 yards for any of those categories.  As far as Laurel Burch fabric is concerned, her basics filler fabrics are still available to add to her unique designs. 

A side note: I have been a Laurel Burch admirer for many years.  Here is a post where I show some other items I have that were designed by her.  Missing in those photos is the pill box and coffee mugs. 


Outside, my petite Flare Hydrangea bush has another bloom opening.










This is a top view.  I have no idea if the rest of those little balls will open into flowers.  From the photo on the hangtag I thought the blooms would be fuller and cone shaped.






My porch pots have started blooming again.  I didn't keep up with the watering in the end of July-beginning of August heat spell and there were a few weeks of just leaves.  I wasn't sure if all of the plants would recover.



I was especially happy that the variety in this pot has come back nicely.  There are signs of Autumn throughout the flower beds.  The many varieties of Sedum are all beginning their blooming and lots of bees are buzzing around them.


When the house across the street (east) looks like it has been painted pink I know there is a pretty sky in the west.  This was a lot more intense, a nice streaky sky of many colors.  The cool front from Canada is supposed to arrive very early today with a big drop in humidity.

26 comments:

Kathy said...

Weighing in on the designer fabric--my buying preference is always fat quarters for the way I work. Six half yards is not enough variety and fat eighths seem like a waste to me, even though there is more variety. My style is improv, though, and I don't need much 'repeatability.'

Donna said...

Love the stash! And that sunset!
hugs
Donna

Julierose said...

I think fat quarters give you a nice variety and a good amount to work with. that would be my choice;))) I love the LB fabrics--I just got one of her "horses" whimsical prints --so neat.
59 and overcast once again here--but nice and cool...
what a lovely sunset--the pink/creamy yellows are so inspiring
above those black branches...great photo...
hugs, Julierose
hugs, Julierose

Gene Black said...

For me it depends on the style of the fabric. For Laurel Burch, I would go with the 6 half yards.

Carol said...

My choice, especially with bigger prints like LB, would be FQs.

Anonymous said...

Just wondering if the grey and white spot fabric may look ‘jumpy’ when it’s cut and re sewn, with rows of dots not lining up.

Linda said...

I like FQs for scrappy sewing, but 1/2 yards are really nice to have some extra, especially if I love the fabric, which I do - I have loved Laurel Birch for many years. I used to have one of her cat coffee mugs but can't find it. Must have broken years ago. ;)

Anonymous said...

6 half yards please I find I have to sew fat quarters together to make stuff

Chantal said...

I would prefer the two first options, for my style of sewing. LB prints are so wonderful. You have quite a collection. Awesome! ;^)

Anonymous said...

Good morning - for the stripes I would like to see half yards, because stripes make great binding. Thanks for your great website!

cityquilter grace said...

well budget aside i would take the 6 half yards and the reason being is i have bought a LOT of kaffe FQs and yes i have a big variety but often find most are not quite large enough for what i want to use them for...this happened several times this week when i found the perfect fabric for a project but alas, the FQ was just a skosh too little...

Mary said...

I think I would prefer half yards. There are some beautiful cuts there.

Nancy said...

I'd suggest the half-yard cuts in order to take advantage of the prints and placement. That way, if they don't move, you could still cut them down into fat quarters. Lovely fabrics!

Anonymous said...

Because her prints are bigger, I prefer half yard cuts to give me more flexibility. A regular quarter yard or fat eighth doesn't give me much room if I want to fussy cut something.
Andrea in MO

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I find that with the quilt I am cutting right now I really like the variety of 24 fat eighths

JustGail said...

I vote half yards. I like FQs but it seems like with some of the prints those might be a bit small? What about a mix - stripes & larger designs in 1/2 yards, the smaller prints & blender/texture prints in FQs? Might be more work and decisions than you want to carry out though :-)
Her kitty prints are such fun!

JJM said...

Pink and gray dot mock up looks great to me. You have many answers to your questions already this morning. And such a grand array of fabrics to be offering.

Nann said...

So many of the LB prints appear to be large-scale, so I'd say half yards......drop-dead gorgeous day today and it's time to get out and enjoy it!

Bonnie H said...

Yes, I agree, the sunset was spectacular !!

Barbara Anne said...

I love LB and have many pairs of earrings she designed, a couple of coffee mugs, and a bird pin I've never worn. What a treasure you have in your abundance of LB fabrics!! I have had some of her delicious fabrics, two Christmas panels, and a mermaid panel I sent to a friend for her granddaughter. I'd recommend the stripes be in quantities useful for binding.
Your garden is looking wonderful!

Hugs!

Sally Langston Warren said...

I think it depends on the fabric as to what size is best. Someone had a good point to maybe start with half yards and if they don’t sell, cut smaller and offer next size down.

MissPat said...

I love Laurel Burch (was very sad when I couldn't find her earrings any more). I'd suggest 1/2 cuts for her fabrics. I'm not buying much these days, but it looks like there are plenty of other LB fans out there, so I'm sure whatever you choose will sell.
I laughed at yesterdays post when you said you put the box of 9 patches right back on the shelf really fast. Good thing you did. You wouldn't want them to start jumpring out of the box, demanding to be put to use right now.
Pat

Beth said...

I like the size and assortment a fat quarter pack offers. But as some of the others have said, the “big print” designers half yard cuts would be better. Always enjoy your blog & read almost every day - Beth in AL

Mystic Quilter said...

You post an interesting post here re destash. I have a few Laurel Burch fabrics from years ago, I love the animal lines.The answers could be relevant to my moving out fabrics from my stash, I shall read comments with interest!
Stunning colours in the sky, I always try and catch both sunset and sunrise.

Cathy said...

When I used to buy fabric just because I liked it I tended to buy quarter or half yards depending upon the price. I was usually all about having quite a variety of fabrics to use in quilts. I swapped blocks a lot back then too just so I could have a variety of different fabrics in a quilt. I viewed a piece of that same beautiful pink sky.

Cathy said...

On the designer fabrics, I would prefer to work with fat quarters or half yards. And anything Laurel Burch is right up there in my list of faves! Your porch pits are glorious! I love the color and texture combos you created!