Monday, October 30, 2023

Third quilt top for October.............


I got the piano key border sewn onto the African fabric quilt top, cutting off the excess of each strip as I got to the end.  I don't think it shows much that some strips are narrower than others.  The side borders are 1/2 inch narrower than the top and bottom borders.  It ended up at 52" x 69".  I will use a dark binding on it, maybe the same fabric as the next to last border.

Before lunch yesterday I cut all of the green tomatoes off the last 2 plants and put them in a box in my garage.  The garage is heated and is usually around 55 degrees.  Last year tomatoes in a box in the garage ripened and I had others in a box in the house with a banana and most of them ripened too.  

In the late afternoon I remembered I wanted to get the geraniums out of the porch pots.  I have to decide if I'm going to let them go dormant or plant them and bring them inside for the winter.


While I was eating breakfast the neighbor's kitty jumped up on my kitchen windowsill.  My house is all stone and the windowsills are wide.  He jumps up on the lower ones quite often but this one is high, by the kitchen sink.  Inside I have a few ripening tomatoes picked a couple days ago.


He decided to sit and watch me for awhile.  I think he has kept the chipmunk population to a minimum in my backyard this summer, mostly just scaring them as he chases them.

 

13 comments:

Julierose said...

Piano Key border looks great!:)))
What a pretty kitty...cats really are so curious....;)))
51 here and raining--looks like rain off and on all week...
It doesn't seem possible that we are already at the end of October--Holiday Season will be upon us before we know it...
hugs, Julierose

Anonymous said...

Fabulous quilt! Loved the center print of elephants from the beginning—the way the elephants were shaded by the little white dots—so painterly! You’ve put your African fabrics to perfect scrappy use! -Roxanne

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

cute kitty nice if it has kept some of the little chipmunks away. The quilt turned out great it is so nice and colorful and very unique!

Mary said...

It looks like you have a new fan who would love to become a quilt tester!

Quiltdivajulie said...

How fun to have the kitty on your windowsill - our back yard neighbor's tuxedo cat walks the top of our fence line but won't get close to us at all. The colors outside your windows are so pretty!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Oh, and I really like the way your African fabrics quilt turned out -- there's so much to look at in the fabrics!

JJM said...

The explosion of your African fabrics is fantastic…. Like a celebration around the elephants. This is one terrific, detailed piece of creativity I’ve ever seen. Just love it.

I’m not at cat lover but he is one good looking cat and too keep the chipmunk population down is good. You know he must keep the mice away too.

JJM

Vicki W said...

Well, if that cat can keep the chipmunks from destroying your foundation then he deserves a treat! I love the piano kee border to finish off that quilt.

helenreimers said...

The elephants made a fabulous center. Great use of the African prints. The dark border is fantastic. Really ties into the elephant center. The outside border sets it all off. Love this quilt. It is really fantastic. Would love to see it in person. First cold front came though in Oklahoma. First freeze tonight.

Barbara Anne said...

Your elephant center batik quilt is just wonderfully colorful and the fabrics work so well together.

When I make a piano key border, I deliberately cut my strips at varying widths to keep it interesting and to make the corners easy to sew together without any math bothers!

Hugs!

audrey said...

What a fantastic quilt top! It just keeps getting better and better.:)

Patty said...

The quilt top looks great! I’m glad you had some tomatoes to ripen and enjoy for a bit longer.

Tami Von Zalez said...

Sorry about the deleted comment, I tried to edit it.

That quilt embodies your blog title, fer sure!