Monday, October 2, 2023

September 2023 monthly recap............


 I had 2 finishes in September, (my self imposed goal for each month this year) both made with the out of production Kaffe Fassett yard dyed woven stripes.  I started buying them back in the1990s and added to them over the years that they were available.  The green quilt on the left is 58" x 72" and the multicolor quilt on the right which includes the Kaffe shot cottons is 61" x 80".


For my own record on my blog I need to post the details so I can check back later if I have questions about the quilt.

This quilt has Hobbs 80/20 batting and the top quilting thread was Superior So Fine in a soft red.  The bobbin was Superior Bottom line in red.


The backing is a beautiful Philip Jacobs print.  I was so happy to finally find a quilt to use it on.  The binding is purple backgound Dotty by Kaffe Fassett.  It is one of his early fabrics.  The binding is hand stitched on the back.

I have been calling the pattern for this quilt "the other 16 patch" because there are 16 pieces in each block but rectangular compared to the squares in my other 16 patch quilts.  This is the third quilt I have made with this pattern.


Here are the three all made with the same block.  All three of these quilts were started last year and finished this year.  Sizes left to right are 54" x 73.5", 61" x 80" and 62.5" x 81".  I turned the blocks sideways on the red one at the right.

Now I can go back to working on the 2 quilt tops with African fabric.  Also 2 shelves collapsed on the bookcase 4 feet from my computer chair, scared the heck out of me.  I will be pulling out all of the books now and pulling all of the ones I need to get rid of.  I don't think the bookcase can be saved.  I have a shelf unit in my living room, on wheels, that really doesn't need to be there.  That is one option or I might buy something new to go in the spot.  Meanwhile, tall stacks of books are on the studio floor.

8 comments:

Julierose said...

Just lovely stripey finishes for September, Wanda! Colors are so vibrant~~
Finally--sunny this morning with just a bit of smokey haze hanging around...
59 degrees...so nice to see the sun !!!

We have a couple of early morning appointments both today and tomorrow; I can get back to finding fabrics for the back of WS when I get home...
Hugs, Julierose

Helenchaffin said...

Beautiful finishes!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I can just see me jumping if that had happened here having a book case collapse - it can be scary - the noise I mean - reminds me I really need to go through some of my books and see what to keep and what to pass on there are so many I don't even look at and have no interest in anymore.
Great job on three more finishes!

Nann said...

I've admired these as you've shown them in the works. The cool and warm colorways side by side are a pleasant contrast.

P.S. On your advice I bought a roll of 80/20 from Kingsmen. Very different texture from the W&N I've used for decades -- kind of spongy.

JJM said...

Took me awhile to get to your comments this morning .. So mesmerized with ‘the other 16 patch’ ~ it is absolutely beautiful ! And I so agree with your backing… breath taking to say the least. And I’m a blue loving person, so you know I love the blue green too. Wonderful recap for September.

I can imagine too ~ how the collapsing shelves scared the heck out of you ! I flinched just hearing about it.

JJM

Kristin said...

Beautiful quilts!

Barbara Anne said...

I love these happy quilts that have come into being from your imagination, your stash, and your time! Applause, applause!

Yikes! I imagine the noise from that collapsing shelf did startle you. How long did it take you to come down from the ceiling? I'm glad it wasn't worse.

Hugs!

Patty said...

The quilts are beautiful! You sure know how to make an uncomplicated block spectacular with your fabric choices!

I’m glad the books didn’t hit you when they fell. You might have gotten bruised up.