Saturday, October 28, 2023

Baking, pressing, searching.......

My treats for today and tomorrow

I like my sweets and want some in the freezer to pull out when I have a craving.  I don't like to have the whole batch though so when there is someone to bake for, I bake the things that I want and hope the recipient will like them.  I visited my granddaughter yesterday and took some of it to her.  The little great-grandson is 2 weeks old now and he and his brother slept through my visit.


I pressed the Bear Paw quilt top and got it up on the design wall for a photo and to choose the border fabric.

Someone asked yesterday about sashing without cornerstones.  With this one I cut sashing 2 different lengths.  One was the size of the block and the other one that size + the size of a cornerstone.  In this case they were 14.5" and 15.5".  The first strip was sewn to the top of the blocks and the longer one sewn to the left side and also as the end strip on a row.


I didn't think the seams in the sashing were going to show very much so this plan would not be obvious.  On a plainer fabric, a solid or tone on tone the seams would be much more obvious.  That is why I like prints so much.  They hide all kinds of little secrets.







I looked for a large piece of fabric to use for borders and found this one which is 4 and 2/3 yards.  That is enough for one panel of the backing and borders each cut in a long piece on the lengthwise grain.  The top should measure about 61" x 76".

We had a little more rain yesterday and still near 70 degrees through early afternoon.  Now they are mentioning possible snow flurries at 3 p.m. on Halloween.  Snowsuits under costumes?

9 comments:

Carol said...

I am truly loving the bear paw! The border fabric looks perfect, and thank you for the explanation of your sashing method.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

the bear paw in those prints looks really good. It is always so amazing how different a quilt can look if you use prints or solids - the prints add more interest for sure.
Nice to get in a visit with family especially if it is to get a look at the new baby without hearing the crying.

Julierose said...

Those sweet treats look so good; we like our sweets, too;)))
Bear Paws is coming to a finish so nicely...great work on this!!
62 here already this morning!! Everything is golden against the blue blue skies--so pretty- We must be almost at "peak" for viewing here...DH will be going out to "mow the leaves" into mulch for our lawn...
Have a great weekend hugs, Julierose

Quiltdivajulie said...

BEAUTIFUL bear paw quilt top - love what you've chosen for the border. In the 80s here today but the rain begins and temps will drop dramatically over the weekend. Next week lows are in the high 20s-low 30s and daily highs no more than 58. Time to empty out the seasonal plants . . .

JJM said...

I didn’t think your Bear Paw could be any better and then you add the border ! It really adds the WOW factor. Smiled when I read how prints hide little secrets.

You are a special Grandma to take sweet treats with you on your visit. And they look delicious .

We’re still in our 20 degree temps with lots of snow. And it sure has taken over our October autumn days. Supposed to hit 50 degrees by Wednesday or Thursday ~ I’m so hoping they are right about the warm up. This storm is traveling east but it didn’t look like it will hit Illinois as hard.

JJM

Mary said...

Once again your stash provided perfect choices. We have finally had some rain and hope to have more next week. Our first real cool down may arrive tomorrow morning. I am so ready for it.

Nann said...

Oh, I like both the sashing and border selections for these blocks!
Yes, a LOT chillier in the next few days.

Barbara Anne said...

What a perfect border fabric for the Bear Paw and am delighted you have so much of it!!

May I please ask for the recipe for the sweet treat on the right in your photo? Both recipes would be even better. Hint, hint, and thank you!

Our high today is to be 83*F but in a few days, we'll be down in the 40s*F and low 50s*F with overnight lows down to 26*F. The trees here are glorious!

Hugs!



Patty said...

The bear paw and the treats look great! I have been so busy then exhausted to even type a comment all week. I caught up on sleep and feeling better.