Tuesday, October 3, 2023

Starting final layout.............


The final layout has started with the African and batik blocks.  I have to build it sideways on the design wall because it won't fit the other way. This is one each of the 16 patch blocks; a duplicate of all but 2 are in the next group to put up on the design wall.  I have 88 blocks total to work with and will only need 80 so I can eliminate anything I really don't like.  I'm putting 2 of the alternate large print batik squares in each column (which will be cross rows when sewn).  I may take a couple of them out if I feel they are too close to each other.


Most of the day yesterday was spent going through books.  The right end of 2 shelves crashed down Sunday night.  The holes for the pegs to go in are shredded.  

Meanwhile I have 3 stacks of books to go through because a lot more of them have to leave my house.

It got up to 84 yesterday, 88 predicted for today.  I was wearing flannel shirts a couple days in September because it was so cool.  Two more days of 80+ and then down to 60 for a high on Friday.  

I mowed half of the front yard at 6 p.m. because the sun was low and behind trees and it had cooled off a little.  The grass is so long and when the cold front gets here Wednesday night it is going to rain.  I hope I can do some more mowing tonight.

8 comments:

Julierose said...

Coming together so nicely, Wanda! I really like the alternate block fabric with the 16 patches...;)))
Only 48 degrees here this morning--a touch of heat went on at our house!!
Off to get a haircut this morning...
Hugs, Julierose

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

the quilt blocks are really looking good as you have them on the wall. Good luck with going through all the books! Sometimes it is a hard decision on what to get rid of. I'm so looking forward to cooler weather coming on Thursday here

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

it is looking amazing!!!!! Sorry about the bookshelf crash....

Nann said...

If the bookcase stands away from other furniture perhaps someone can drill the holes through the sides of the bookcase and run rods all the way across -- then bolt them tight from the outside. Of course that renders the shelves pretty much non-adjustable -- but they won't collapse, either.

Back to quilting: I really like the way the larger squares pop in and out among the 16ps.

JJM said...

I like what Nann said, “ I really like the way the larger squares pop in and out of the 16 ps”~ me too Nann. (*._.*)

You are getting a lot accomplished with your hot temps. Plus mowing the lawn yet at 6:00 p.m. ~ you’re my hero !

JJM.

Barbara Anne said...

Your 16 patch African quilt is growing nicely and I love it's sideways orientation. Sometimes that's how it goes!

I like Nann's suggestion for your in-need-of-repair bookcase, too.

Hugs!

Patty said...

The quilt top is fabulous! I could fix those shelves. They wouldn’t be adjustable but they would be sturdy. I would get some L brackets to screw to the sides and the shelves. Is the bookcase particle board, MDF, or wood? The type of substrate will dictate the type of screws or fasteners that would be needed. Too bad I live so far away!

Vicki W said...

Oh I hate it when a bookshelf (or fabric shelf) collapses! That green leafy batik is really making the 16-patch quilt amazing.