Thursday, October 5, 2023

First quilt top for October.................


I was hoping to have this top done in September but after I squeezed in the 65th high school class reunion I could see it wasn't going to happen.  Now I have a great start for October.

This is made of African fabrics and mottled batik (almost solid) fabrics.


I intended to find an African fabric for some alternate plain blocks but instead looked on my 2 shelves of multicolor batiks.  I know I got this batik on sale, deep discount, because it wasn't selling well.  I only had a yard so I got twenty 8.5" squares out of it.  It turned out to be the most fabulous choice I could have made.  I LOVE this quilt top.  It is 64" x 80".


Chicago (60 miles east of me) had 5 days of 80+ degrees September 30-October 4.  Now there is going to be a high of 50s on the weekend and they are talking high 30s Saturday night.  A/C to flannel shirts all in the same week. You can see here we have a little color started on some of the trees.  I have about 50 green tomatoes that I was hoping would ripen with the hot days but they are still green.  Here's hoping there is no heavy frost or freeze for at least 3 weeks.

 

13 comments:

Kathy said...

This top turned out absolutely fabulous! That batik for the alternate block was the perfect choice. There IS a reason we keep fabric around for a long time...it simply needs to find the perfect combo!

Libby in TN said...

I agree, that batik is the perfect choice! We are getting the same cold front about a day later than you.

Julierose said...

Congratulations on finishing this quilt top;)) It is a lovely one...
61 here this morning in heavy fog...we're off to (hopefully) get our covid shots this morning...then out for a breakfast...hugs, Julierose

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

love the quilt and the colors.
here to the weather is changing - in the 70's near 80 daytimes and now they say Saturday night to get down to 40-45 for most of the state and a few 30's in the very far north.
I've been opening windows again as soon as I get up in the morning and soon I will leave them at night too and then it will be just a little bit - fall comes quickly when it does finally get here

Quiltdivajulie said...

We are dropping into the 40s at night this weekend - freaky after the intense heat we've had all summer. I, too, LOVE this quilt top. You did a FABULOUS job with it!!!

Barbara Anne said...

What a glorious quilt center (adding borders?) or top!! There is a lot to love about this African quilt. I look forward to see what your border/binding choices will be.
Our temperatures will be in the 60s*F and nights in the upper 40s*F by the weekend. Today is 77*F/56*F. I think our last small green tomatoes have little chance of ripening.

Hugs!

Nann said...

There's a lot you can do with green tomatoes!

JJM said...

And a glorious top it is ! If it wasn’t for your ‘windows of light’ it would be yet another 16 patch. You created another masterpiece again Wanda.

And you will see your autumn trees grow more brilliant by the day. Our colorful trees are now dropping their colorful leaves already. Living in the mountains brings autumn/winter in early and stays way to long come spring . But we did have a gorgeous colorful fall. We have an oak and maple tree in our front yard but are surrounded with towering Ponderosa pines.

JJM

Patty said...

I’m glad you were able to get enough blocks for the top out of that yard of batik. It sure is beautiful!

It was only 78 today and now it’s finally raining. We needed rain. Temps drop into the 50’s on Saturday. The leaves are turning here too so the cold weather is right around the corner. Summer went too fast.

Darlenekopta@gmail.com said...

I think the batik “windows of light” are perfect for this quilt. I like that term to describe this! It works perfectly. I’m experiencing this cooler weather this morning too. It’s a welcome surprise after such a warm start to fall. I do hope you can enjoy your tomatoes; green or ripe.

Cathy said...

Your African and batik top is fabulous! That batik glows as though it’s backlit!

I always gather up all my green tomatoes before the first frost is due to hit. My Weight Watcher friends love getting their little brown lunch bags of tomatoes every year. The tomatoes do eventually ripen up, and while they aren’t as good as vine-ripened from the garden, they’re still better than store-bought!

Alicia Key said...

That's AWEsome! 65? impossible! we had our 50th last year but having lost my husband in March of '22, I couldn't face going. After all, he was the gregarious one. I'm so shy! LOL no- I really am! Not with quilters, though! LOL

SueB said...

beautiful quilt top; thanx for the inspiration!