Wednesday, October 4, 2023

Final layout...............


It took 3 tries to get to this final layout of the African/batik quilt top.  I stacked the rows and took the pieces up to my main floor studio for sewing.

Then I spent time outside pulling weeds in the front garden.  It isn't done, I just did the amount of bending that I can do in one day.  Then I mowed the other half of the front yard and the side and backyard.  I wonder how many more times it will need mowing before we are done for the season.  It all depends on how much rain we get. 


Last night I sewed all of the rows in one direction and all but 3 in the opposite direction and I should be able to finish and photograph it today.  Then I can work on the borders of the other African quilt top.

13 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

this top is looking great.
My sister has a small yard and a push mower she too is hoping she doesn't need to cut it much longer, she does hers like you do half one day and the next day the other

Julierose said...

This African piece is just so pretty!! That looks like it is a really big quilt...I just layered my Winged Strings for pin basting this morning...
noticed I'm getting low on batting--
66 already this morning...I think it may hit 80 here today--we're off for an early morning walk...hugs, Julierose

Quiltdivajulie said...

That glorious green was indeed perfect for this quilt!!

Barbara Anne said...

What a wonderfully happy quilt you're making and such great sewing progress on a day when you also did lots of yard work.

Hope you slept well!

Hugs!

Nann said...

It glows! Front is coming through this afternoon and we'll have to bundle up...at least wear long sleeves. Not much mowing remaining this season.

JJM said...

Your solid blocks are like ‘windows of light’ ~ that make this piece sparkle. Anxiously await the full photo .

Your busy days always never cease to amaze me and inspire me too.

JJM

Tammy said...

I love the look of this layout with the occasional batiks peaking through. Inspirational!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! I have some batiks and African prints that I could probably use for a quilt like this. I'm guessing 2.5 inch wide strips and 8 inch finished blocks. This would make a beautiful quilt -- I could only WISH it would be as beautiful as yours! Those alternating prints really make this quilt shine...Deb E / CA.

O'Quilts said...

This pattern is one of my favorites....Since I now have practically a store of African fabrics maybe I will do that too...although my energy level is so lacking xo

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

You nailed it, for sure! I do love how you've put this all together. It as fun watching.

Mystic Quilter said...

Super layout, I love the lighter pops and the green batik squares work so well.

Anonymous said...

I love the color and random layout of this quilt. Such a great way to use up scraps. Whoever receives this will be blessed!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Thats the perfect layout!