Saturday, October 14, 2023

Geese are done............


I finished sewing the Flying Geese blocks yesterday afternoon.  I decided to try 3 mock ups for possible use for them so I can refer back when I'm ready.

This Dutchman's Puzzle block would be 12" finished.  I think I have 120 Flying Geese blocks so I could make 15 blocks.




This is the layout that was on the little scrap of paper on the tray holding the triangles.






I was surprised when this one happened when alternating rows of dark geese and light geese.

For now the blocks will go into a labeled box for later consideration.  I thought maybe they would be good border blocks on a future Australian fabric quilt.


I cut some more pieces for the colorwash and it is better but not good enough so I'll continue working on it.  This one has Kaffe prints but also other fabrics.  I think I have a stack of 2" batik squares so I'll look through them and see if I want to add any of them.

I also basted another colorwash that has been taped to a cutting table for over a month.  When I get my sewing cabinet cleaned off now I can quilt 2 colorwashes.


A few days ago I posted a photo of me at a quilt shop in England and I'm holding a bag of purchases.  Someone wondered what fabric I bought there.  This is one of them.  Click to enlarge and read the selvage.

I have another new great-grandson born yesterday morning.  Now it is 4 to 1, only one great-granddaughter.

11 comments:

dianen said...

Congratulations on your newest little great-grandson. I hope he will have a happy, healthy life.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Hooray - another little one to love! Those elephants are just so much fun - I've used a few pieces of Makower fabric and it never disappoints. Of the three options with the geese, I really like the third one (zig zag) and your idea to tuck them away for future border blocks is a good one.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

congrats on another great grandchild, my sister had another one on the 12th! she has 4 greats 3 girls and one boy
I like the second and third layout of the flying geese

Julierose said...

Nice work getting all the FG made up!! I am partial (as you probably know) to that zig zag pattern..but they are all nice...
Love that elephant fabric-- so charming!!;))))
Hugs for a lovely weekend...Julierose

Nann said...

Those geese are flying in the rain today! Congratulations on your new gg. Charming elephants -- surely you'll find a place to showcase them.

Barbara Anne said...

Wonderful Flying Geese and I prefer the Dutchman's Puzzle setting as I've always loved that block.
Thanks for mentioning the cut size of your color wash squares!
Oh, joy, joy, and new wee great-grandboy. Is there a baby boy quilt blooming in your imagination?

Hugs!

JJM said...

Happiness is to hear about another great grand child for you. And I had forgotten that you had that many.

Fun to see so many creative patterns you can use with your ‘Flying Geese’ .

And your colorwashes are always so beautiful, they mesmerize me every time. So lovely right now, and yet you say a bit more to go. Look forward to seeing what you do.

JJM

JJM said...

P.S. ~ Dancing Elephants “Elepanteses created by Makower of England”. So fun and cute fabric and you’ll have to use that salvage in the quilt some how.

Kristin said...

Congrats on your new greatgrandson!

I love all the prints and color arrangement in the zig zag configuration.

Mari said...

Congratulations on the newest little one! Five great grandchildren-- what a blessing!

Linda Swanekamp said...

Congratulations on a new child! Those elephants made me chuckle. I was expecting some formal flower fabric.