Wednesday, October 11, 2023

Making a few flying geese.............

In my sorting I found a stack of 52 Australian fabric Flying Geese blocks.  There were 8 more goose pieces cut so I sewed 8 more for a total of 60.  I looked back on my blog and found that I had started sewing these in April this year when I was cleaning up from my series of quilts with the Australian fabrics.


There are still more half square triangles on this tray so I need to cut some more goose shapes (quarter square triangle).  Some of these are dark so that means I need light color geese.  I have no idea if I had a plan for these other than a tiny sketch laying on the tray.  I will put all of these plus sewn pieces in a storage box so the tray won't be in my way any more.


I cut my first dried bouquet of the raspberry color hydrangeas yesterday morning.  When I cut them I saw that the top side that was in the sun is the deep color and the other side is green/yellow/beige.  I may add one more to this bouquet.
 

9 comments:

Helenchaffin said...

beautiful colors for the flying geese,luv the deep rich color of the hydrangeas,I don't think I've seen any that rich in color ,they the soil makes a big difference in the outcome of the colors

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I really missed no Hydrangeas this year for me after the winter destroying my plant this year - it is coming back though and is about 2-4 feet tall now in most places and I look forward to flowers next spring - this winter if we get hit bad with a long stretch of 20's I will no to cover the plant up as good as I can-the severe cold had destroyed the plant at least once or twice over the almost 40 years that I have had it so I'm pretty sure the flowers will be back next spring. I most likely have a different variety than you do as I know your plants are destroyed from the cold that you have every year.

Julierose said...

What a gorgeous bouquet of hydrangeas!! Loving that color...;)))
You are finding lots of spare parts to work with lately...that is nice.

Still feeling crummy this morning--CDC says normal for this time around...;000

58 this morning and going up to the 60's throughout the day...sunny --gotta love this weather!! Hugs, Julierose

Nann said...

The bouquet is lovely. Is there a story behind the vase? The cache of geese is a great find!

JJM said...

Your studios are so I full of treasures….its been fun to see and wondering what you may find next .

Raspberry hydrangea bouquet is so awesome…. My bush has turned to a pastel raspberry and so abundant this year, I cut it back this spring and I’m wondering if that’s why it grew so much more than other years when I cut it back in the fall ? ? ?

JJM

JCH said...

I was wondering about the vase as well. It's Very pretty. I used to have pink and blue hydrangeas at our other house. No more so now I make them little out of paper. I think I'll give your color a try. Always good to find a lot of blocks to make an almost quilt, then not so long to finish :0)

Barbara Anne said...

I wonder where those flying geese will take you?! Nice to have so many finished and parts for more ready and waiting.

Your hydrangea blooms are lovely and so is the vase! Our hydrangeas have already turned brown from a few cold nights.

Hugs!

Patty said...

What a fun thing to find. Those flying geese are so pretty! I have never seen a raspberry hydrangea. The color is magnificent!

Linda Swanekamp said...

Hmm, I think I need to hit some thrift shope and find some bigger vases. I have an abundance of hydrangeas this year, so I could make great bouquets. The flying geese are gorgeous.