Friday, July 29, 2022

Trimming trees..............


Trimming the tree blocks works well with a 6" wide ruler.  I just have to line up the quarter inch marks on each side of the center line along the edges of the trunk and make sure the 8.5" line is above the bottom cut edge.  I made my first mistake last night and trimmed one block a half inch short.  I can salvage it if I sew on a piece of background fabric, re-trim and then use it in the bottom row.  The binding would cover part of the new piece.


I finished sewing these 11 blocks after pressing them, then pressing again after the center piece was sewn in and trimming.  I think I need another 12 blocks before I can start designing OR I could start designing now and then decide which fabrics the remaining trees need to be.




My very dark green Hostas are all blooming in this corner garden.  This is the corner I plant all of the Hostas in that don't have another place to be.  A lot of times it is the ones I split and I can't find enough people to give the extras to.

I spread 2 bags of leaf mulch in the areas of the front garden that never got done earlier this summer.  The sun is on that area until 4 p.m. and then I wait a little longer for the coolest part of the day.  Right now we have nice temps and low humidity for a couple more days.

 

5 comments:

Julierose said...

The trimmed trees are looking so pretty together--this quilt will be a stunner for sure!!
We are having that Hot Humid (HH) weather still...at 7 a.m. it's 72 already with a 71 dewpoint? I ask you!! Phew--another inside day...I am going to wear out my rugs walking back and forth...;000
I hope your upcoming weekend stays pleasant weather wise for you
hugs, Julierose

Barb said...

Thanks for the trimming hint. You have inspired me to make this quilt. I have some Charlie Harper birds I've been hoarding so I plan to incorporate those in this too. Your quilts are an inspiration.

JJM said...

Wonderful 6” ruler to us e for your trimming. I’ve got a 4” I use often, but next trip to Joanne’s I’ll be looking for a 6”. I’m looking forward to seeing your trees on the design wall.

What a lush Hosta garden.

JJM

Quiltdivajulie said...

We have a rainy day here - so long since we've had the joy of rain with overcast skies and temps below 90 degrees.. We're no where near as green as your area but at least this will stop things from browning any more for a few more days.

Linda Swanekamp said...

From the headline, I though maybe it was Christmas in July, but I like your trees so much better! A little cooler here also, but still need rain.