Tuesday, July 12, 2022

Just 2 blocks...........


 I only sewed 2 Arboretum blocks yesterday.  This is what they look like before pressing and trimming.






It was hot and humid yesterday so I didn't go out until early evening to check on the tomatoes and gardens.  I saw a shaft of light coming through and shining on my yellow lilies so I went back for my camera.



Here is a little closer look, black raspberry canes, lilies, hosta, one tall tiger lily, and Annabelle Hydrangea.   I see a couple of the tall bellflowers in there too and a volunteer Redbud tree.



The lilies must have liked the weather over the winter because they are really doing well this year.









Turning around and looking toward the back lot line are my blackberry lilies and that favorite Hosta called Stained Glass.

The house behind me is for sale.  The family that lived there moved in just a month or so after we moved in.





In the same flower bed are Coneflowers just opening.  This area is deep shade most of the day so that is why these are just opening where the others in sunlight have been open for over a week.

I haven't had any tomatoes ripening for over a week.  That hot spell with low humidity a while back was not ideal weather for them.  I found 2 just starting to turn color last night and lots and lots of little green tomatoes.

7 comments:

Libby in TN said...

Are you arbitrarily placing the branches or is there a pattern? I would love to see your process.

Julierose said...

You have such lovely garden spots...beautiful blooms.
We are dry here too--hoping for some beneficial rains tomorrow...
I like your two blocks with the flowered fabrics...
hugs, Julierose

patty a. said...

The blocks are pretty and so is your garden. I think the birds are cutting off my zucchini flowers and therefore I am not getting any fruit setting. I am not going to waste the water on them any more.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

Lovely gardens - I hope you have good new neighbors move in - it has taken me a while to get used to new neighbors in the two houses across the road from us - in the 40 years we have lived her we never had neighbors with dogs and between the two families they must have 4 or 5 of them and barking at all hours and sometimes for hours at a time - at least now after a year of it I can get my mail out of the box without all of them barking at me! And they finally put up fences to keep them in their own yards!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Fingers crossed for wonderful new backyard neighbors. Your plants are so pretty in that late day sun.

JJM said...

Such striking fabric combinations on your 2 new blocks. And a fun tour of your back gardens.

JJM

Hubblebird said...

You’ve inspired me to make my own wall hanging using scrap batiks and hand dyed fabrics that I have had for years. I’m just improv cutting and keeping to the same size blocks that the original quilter blogged about. Thank you for advising people to go to her website for more details. I trimmed too much off 3 blocks! I might fiddle a bit with framing those and sprinkling them in with the quilt for a bit of visual interest. Time will tell. I won’t be buying any new fabrics for this as I’m determined to use only what I have. Thank you again.