Tuesday, July 5, 2022

A finish for July............


I finished the last side of the binding last night so this is an official finish.  It is 34" x 42", the largest of the 3 African colorwash wall hangings that I have made.







I thought this older fabric was perfect for the backing.  It is a little heavier than most printed quilting cottons which makes it perfect for a wall hanging backing.







I went to the basement to cut some fabrics but these switch plate blocks were still laying there.  I decided to group all 5 or 6 alike together and group colors.  I think I have created a monster.  I had considered taking all of the blocks back off the wall and offering them for sale.  I have that whole batch of red fabrics still left to use and there isn't enough room for them so that means doing some rearranging or letting the red sweep all across the bottom of the quilt.  We are talking over 300 blocks here so that is no small project.

I look at it and say that is kind of neat, and then I look at the photo and say, wow, that is ugly.  It is also coming out way larger than I planned because of less blocks in the offset rows.  I think I was planning 60" x 80" and right now it would be 69" x  85" and I still have the reds to add.


My new (last year) Zinfin Doll Hydrangea is finally budding out.  I planted it last year at this time and it already had big blooms.  I thought maybe I hadn't pruned it correctly but all seems to be well now.



Some of the tiny buds have opened on this bloom.


 We only got one tenth of an inch of rain yesterday and Aurora, the second largest town in IL, just 25 miles away, had flooded streets.



 

16 comments:

sewyouquilt2 said...

Hmmm make a warm colored lap size and a cool colored one. Love love love your blocks. I am trying setting methods for mine too.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I like all of the quilts as I usually do. You will figure out what to do/ how big to make it.
sounds like us the the other day, no rain here for a month and the small towns of south Arkansas were flooding the other day and even had a storage building float down a street and a big chunk of pavement came out of a high way - and here dry as bone

Julierose said...

I think your African piece is simply lovely--what a lot of thought went into placement of colors in that one!!
I would make the switch plate blocks into two smaller pieces--
just a thought...hugs, Julierose

MissPat said...

The African colorwash is magical. You couldn't have picked better borders. They make the quilt. We have rain in the forecast today, but it may be the hit and miss variety. It's so dry here that the one lilac bushes and many of the hellebores are wilted. Very sad to see another mass shooting so close to you.
Pat

patty a. said...

The African fabric quilt turn out great! The switch plate quilt has taken on a life of it's own. I am sure someone would snap up those blocks if you put them in a pop up shop. No sense of forcing yourself to make a quilt you won't be happy with. We got a bit or rain here this morning, but only .3". Better than nothing I guess.

JJM said...

African wall hanging is awesomely gorgeous ! ! ! I always feel a ruthmn to your African pieces .

WOW ~ ‘Switch plate’ JAMBOREE. Can’t wait to see how you’ll end up with this one.

JJM

Kristin said...

Just my personal opinion here, but I think the switch plate blocks might look better in a randomized color grouping, more like a scrappy quilt.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Something tells me you are trying too hard on the switch plate blocks (ask me how I know since I do it here all too often). Since you aren't in love with the current layout, I vote for taking them off the wall and setting them aside (after piecing the remaining red blocks) to give yourself some mental breathing space while you work on other things that excite you more. Then, when you prepare for your next pop-up shop, you can decide whether to keep or sell the blocks.

Linda Swanekamp said...

Just stunning colorwash- the design, colors, value, border and binding- very well done.

Elsie Montgomery said...

Wanda, you may not know, but I have a loft done in African everything and there is a spot that would be perfect for this latest wall hanging. If you want to sell it, let me know. We are going to visit our daughter in NC in a few weeks and since the US mail service to Canada is terrible (and very expensive) you could send it to her for pickup! I've liked others before and have one of yours, a top that I quilted and love, but this one is shouting at me!! Love it!

Anonymous said...

Hi.Can I ask, do you ever sleep?!! You're so prolific. But gorgeous quilts.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh that African Colorwash is Amazing!!! Your color placement is just wonderful on this one!!!!

Mystic Quilter said...

I hadn't realised I had missed reading posts for four days!! Congratulations on 15 years of blogging, I first began reading blogs around 2013 and yours was the first I discovered, what a treat it was and still is.

Mystic Quilter said...

I hadn't completed the the comment before pressing publish, your African colorwash is amazing, I love the border fabric used and the animal print used for the inside border.

Vicki W said...

Wow, the borders on the colorwash quilt really add a great punch! I love the switchplate blocks. Lots of options there!

MontyBear said...

African color wash is one of my favorites. Beautiful. I finally finished my color wash with floral fabrics I bought from your pop up shop.