Monday, July 25, 2022

Finished.............


I used one of my favorite yellow prints for the binding of this little quilt.  It is used in 2 of the triangles on the front of the quilt.


This is a cute little quilt, just 29" x 35".  Quilted on my Pfaff machine, Mountain Mist cotton batting, yellow variegated thread.








The backing has butterflies flying in all different directions.

Will this be the only finish for July?  This week is supposed to have beautiful weather, barely getting up to 80 today and lower humidity.  I will have more energy in that kind of weather and I have so many things I need to do.  For 3 years now I had planned on making a "Christmas in July" quilt and I don't think I have enough time left this month to work that in.


Here are the 3 little 8" volunteer tomato plants I transplanted into pots.  They are at least 4' tall.






I think I have figured out which variety they are.  I had 4 different kinds in the raised bed last year and I think these are Principe Borghese Tomato.

They are a little larger than a grape tomato and are very good for making sun dried tomatoes.  They are also very tasty and good in salads.


I moved the 3 volunteer plants in pots away from the raised bed because I couldn't get to the plant in the back by the flower pot.  The 2 back cages are 64" tall and the plants are at least a foot taller than that.

The front plants have shorter cages, about 46" and the branches of the plant are hanging over the top by about 20".


There are lots of tomatoes on the back Early Girl plant.

We got 1" of rain overnight Saturday into Sunday.





I have one plant between 2 bushes and in front of a kitchen window so I can watch for ripening.  These are good size tomatoes called Marglobe.





The first golden cherry tomato is ripening.  I have both of these plants in pots too.  They never do as well in pots as in the ground but I didn't have any place to plant them.  Also walnut trees have a substance that is poisonous to tomato plants.  There were many walnut trees on the lot line that the neighbors cut down 11 years ago. The tree that fell into my yard last year and the other half that fell into their yard was loaded with walnuts.  (It was a sucker that grew off the old stump of one of the trees).The squirrels are always busy burying them in my yard so there probably is still some of the poisonous substance being spread in my soil.

14 comments:

Julierose said...

WOW your gardens are really doing well, Wanda--you should get a great harvest!!
What model Pfaff do you have? I used to have a Variamatic--now i have a Viking. Love that little zig zag quilt--so pretty all quilted up...
Nice work hugs, Julierose

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I didn't know that walnut trees were not good to be in the same area as tomatoes - I have none in my yard so never had to deal with it. Your tomato plants are so large. I had forgotten I had tossed some Roma seeds that I had found in one kitchen drawer in a corner of the garden in the spring. What with the high heat I had kind of forgotten about them but recently saw them growing - i actually put a cage around them this past week before they took off growing, I think they are getting some shade during the day that they haven't died in the heat - we will see if I get tomatoes in the fall, the plants are still small. We are to get cooler weather this weekend only

Mary said...

Very pretty quilt. You are going to have a huge tomato crop. Time for BLTs!

Carolyn said...

The yellow quilt is pretty and so summery!

JustGail said...

I'm envious, my tomatoes are only a foot high. Yes, still. Darn groundhog ate them, and the peppers, but they are slowly recovering. Oh well, I guess no tomatoes means no work canning or freezing them.

Yes, black walnuts and tomatoes are not good. The tomatoes start out fine but then start to droop and wilt. I can only plant tomatoes at one end of my garden, and think I need to move the rhubarb plant as by this time of year, it looks pretty sad. Yet, asparagus is supposed to be sensitive but mine looks fine.

Love the quilt, such a happy little one!

Linda Swanekamp said...

Great looking tomatoes! I have a few in pots that I keep watering and watering. Have you dried tomatoes? I don't have a clue. The little quilt is just a lovely ray of sunshine. Still needing rain here.

patty a. said...

The yellow quilt turned out so pretty! Your flowers and tomatoes are doing so well! We had a heck of a storm last night. I would guess we got at least an inch of rain. I planted some marigold seeds this past weekend so between the heat and the rain I am hoping to get something to come up. I know it is late to be starting from seed, but I had some bare ground so why not try.

pbj fiber marietta said...

Just love your yellow quilt! The backing and the binding are just the topping on the cake! Good job. Wanda, you have a green thumb. I just love seeing photos of all your plants. Thanks for sharing!

Cathy said...

What a sweet and happy little quilt!

The poisonous substance that walnut trees secrete is juglone. We have a lot of wild black walnut trees and we try to keep them cut down near the veggie garden since tomatoes and peppers especially do not do well when planted near the trees. I learned the hard way long ago when we first moved here and kept having problems with stunted growth and yellowing. Finally figured out the mystery by doing lots of reading. BTW, I love those pots of petunias in your previous post. Hubby usually has a couple of pots of them on the deck he starts from saved seed but he did not get around to it this year. Petunias always remind me of my maternal grandmother. She always had a little wooden wheelbarrow full of them out in her front yard.

Jocelyn said...

Love how your quilt turned out. So cheerful!

Sharon Kwilter said...

You should definitely spend time outside during the beautiful weather. Quilts can wait for less pleasant days.

JJM said...

Love your yellow quilt it really glows with beauty, and precise quilting . Maybe it is going to your little grandson ? How is he doing ?

I’m impressed with your many tomato plants, looks like more than you’ve ever had before.

JJM

Mystic Quilter said...

The little yellow quilt is so cute and cheerful and I like that you just followed the zig zag design with the quilting. Can't believe the size of those tomato plants!! Lucky you ready to have a great harvest of tomatoes for summer eating.

Vicki W said...

I love yellow and I love this little quilt.