Friday, July 15, 2022

A day of variety.......


I started out the day with my annual Medicare wellness check, the free one.  I have been pronounced well.  I remembered ball, flag, tree for over one minute.  Anyone not old enough for this appointment yet will know what I mean by that when you get there. 

When I got home I found a plastic bag with some remnants of 1.5" strips and I had just recently reunited the box containing blocks with the pencil box of precut log cabin pieces.  That meant I had to piece 10 more blocks to go with the 6 I showed in January last year.  This will be a long range project cutting strips now and then from my scraps.  This time I will keep all of the parts together.

Late in the afternoon I mowed the back yard.  The shade back there keeps the grass green and growing.  The front yard is still scorched so I just mowed the fringes where the green weeds had gotten tall.  The rest will have to recover before it needs mowing.  They are promising us some rain today in 2 or 3 passes so I hope we get one of the heavier rains.  In the weather segment on the news last night they said we are down about 1.75" in normal rain since June 1.  Tomato plants need 2" per week.  I have been filling my watering cans and jugs and letting them sit overnight before I do my watering.  That is supposed to dechlorinate the water making it better for my plants.


Last night I cut 2 more blocks for the Arboretum quilt.  I only have 2 more backgrounds cut so I need to be choosing some more fabrics for the next batch.

 

13 comments:

Julierose said...

Lovely new tree blocks and that log cabin--oh those tiny strips!!

Our county announced a watering ban and water conservation edict yesterday; our yard is really turning into a hayfield--Tom hasn't had to mow in over two
weeks!! Even our trees are looking a bit "saggy" --usually they look like that in late August.
I will have to try to perform my "rain dance" pretty soon (not a good sight either!!) Hope your weekend is a good one hugs, Julierose

Gene Black said...

Interesting, when I take Mom for her checkups, the Doctor doesn't do that type of test. I wonder if she would pass that one.

Mary said...

Penny, apple, table. I am so glad you got a good report!

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

D-L-R-O-W!!!

abelian said...

I had to laugh! I did the same wellness check yesterday. My words: horse, airplane, hat. And I had to draw a clock with all the numbers and the hands pointing to 4:10. And I’m glad to know I’m fairly healthy. I enjoy your blog, and am tempted by Arboretum.
Dot

JJM said...

Love your post today, enjoyed seeing your beautiful log cabin again. And your new blocks.

Medicare Wellness test …. Testing how Cognitive we are. My husband just had this past Wednesday and she asked him several questions with numbers, division, multiplying, etc. he loves numbers. He thought it was a simple test, oh yah he remembered those three words too. I had told my neighbor, there would be three words she had to remember. Her test was via a zoom call with her doctor, so she wrote down those three words. (*._.*)

JJM

MissPat said...

We've had only 1.7" of rain since late May. Everything in my garden is showing the strain. I'm not sure some of the plants will even survive, since a wide-spread rain is not predicted in the next 10 days, just temps in the upper 80's and low 90's.
Pat

Mari said...

Love the Arboretum blocks. My mom class her wellness check "renewing the warranty." I'll have to ask what her words were. Wish I could send some rain! We have too much!

sewyouquilt2 said...

Your aboretum is growing fast and is so pretty. Thanks for the squirrel.i am having fun with mine

Linda Swanekamp said...

It is fun to find cut pieces already bagged. I emptied the floor of my studio this week and washed the floor and got rid of all the fabric shrapnel. In moving the boxes and bags, I did not find one single exciting thing hidden. The arboretum is growing branch by branch!

Nancy J said...

Your test sounds similar to the one our practice nurse does when we renew our driving licence. I, too, had to draw a clock, remember a person's name and their address , name as many animals as I could in one minute, say the day, date, year and month, and repeat the person's name etc at the end. I passed, 30/30, overjoyed. So good to know at our age you and I are both well, the mental part is all I think necessary to be driving safely. I guess other areas have different tests. Your garden is looking wonderful, in a lot of previous posts as well.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I only know it from the movies ;-) but congrats?
Love that log cabin you are working on!!!

patty a. said...

I had one of those tests last year. When they told me to draw the hands for the time 11:10 on the clock face I was being a smart ass and asked them if they wanted 11:10 a.m. or p.m. LOL!! You should have seen the look on their faces!