Friday, July 22, 2022

Melting in the heat..............


 The heat is getting to me.  Yes, I have 2 window A/C units and many fans but.....

I managed to get 2 more blocks sewn for the Arboretum quilt but couldn't bear the thought of turning on the iron.


Here are all four of the blocks made from the same fabric.  I have another color or 2 of this fabric and I forgot to look for it yesterday.










I did look through my Kaffe collective fabrics for some more lighter green prints.  Also one more rust color.  I cut a 9" strip off each of them and I'll hopefully get them pressed today and cut into the block size.



Outside, the yellow lilies don't mind the heat and dry weather.

Tomatoes don't like temperatures in the high 80s and above and warm nights.  I had tomatoes for the last 2 weeks of June and then they stopped ripening.  I have picked about a dozen small ones in the last week but ripening is really slow.  The good news is the plants are loaded with green tomatoes so next week when it cools down a little maybe they will ripen.

7 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

mine had been loaded with blossoms and the blossoms just started to dry up and fall off! I hope your tomatoes will grow and ripen when the heat pass us by. I cut mine down to 12 inches and will see if the plant will re-grow and produce more later this summer

Nann said...

Hot colors for your trees, too! I'm grateful for central air conditioning every year, and especially weeks like these. I mowed last Sunday for the first time in three weeks. Looks as though I won't need to mow again for a while.

Julierose said...

It is so HOT here and humid--I think attics keep the heat and houses get warmer as the days go by!!Fans notwithstanding...Our AC has been on continuously!! $$$$!!
Your rust colored tree backgrounds are just lovely...you have a super choice of fabrics from you KF collections...try to stay cool hugs, Julierose

Linda Swanekamp said...

I really hate to have the windows closed and AC on for so long. I wish the air outside was comfortable to let the breeze blow through. When I think about getting in the car for an errand, I keep putting it off. The bunnies have destroyed many of my plants because the dug under the newly placed green chicken wire fence.

JJM said...

As I opened your blog this morning your new blue and pink block with a lot more branches than the others, jumped right off the screen ! Such fun to see a new block that is so striking. Each block is a treasure in its own. Looking forward to the new green series.

JJM

Florida Farm Girl said...

Well, I hope you know you've gotten me totally hooked on Kaffe now. My current project used one of his fabrics of huge chrysanthemums in blues and purples. It's so pretty I couldn't cut it up so found a pattern where it'll be used in huge swaths. We'll see what the final result it. But whatever, the fabrics are here to stay. I really like the Arboretum pattern too.

Vicki W said...

What beautiful roses and a lovely surprise!