Thursday, May 7, 2009

Just a few more.........
I sewed a couple more of the little squares and then went to the next size. There is variety of blocks in all of the sizes. Four of the tiny ones equal one of the bigger ones (3"). Added at 10:30 a.m.: a couple of people have asked about the different small blocks. As I said above there is a variety of styles of blocks in all of the sizes, and what I meant was that in the book that all of the varieties are there for me to photocopy. I am not changing them myself. Sorry for the confusion.
Then I couldn't help myself, I had to piece a couple crazy blocks.
J-MT was right, I haven't shown all of my quilts yet. I was asked if I would teach the strip pieced kaleidoscope and when I started looking for a picture of this one in my archives, there wasn't one. I usually use a lot more fabrics in a quilt but I made this one with just 4 in the strip piecing so I would have a simpler sample the last time I taught the class.
I went to the store to pick up my anti-fatigue mats and one box was heavier than the other even though they both had the same part number on them. Somebody at the warehouse made a mistake and packed the wrong kind of mat in one of the boxes. I'm hoping the second one will be here tomorrow so I can get back to cutting.
We had some nice gentle rain yesterday. I dug up some hostas for a lady 2 days ago and then planted evening primrose (which is taking over the front flower bed) in the holes. I haven't taken my hoses out yet so I wanted it to rain on them.
Quite a few people commented about experiences with raccoons. I have never been close to one but I don't think I want to meet one in the back yard. I'm glad the critters only come at night when I am safely inside the house.

16 comments:

Jackie Russell said...

I really like the tiny blocks.

Unknown said...

I love your tiny blocks! I think you may have sparked another project for me. The pieced Kaleidoscope is fabulous. Yes, I agree with you about the raccoons, just be glad they AREN'T out during the day. I think that would be a really big problem.

Tina Craig said...

Love the little blocks! They are big in my world. I have some crazy evening primrose, too. I remember them in my Grandmother's garden, which was always so neat and tidy. I don't know how she tamed them.

jovaliquilts said...

You made me smile -- I know how it goes to make a lot of something and just need to make something else! It's interesting, but your fabric choices make even the very exact piecing look freer and more spontaneous. Good lesson.

Anonymous said...

those little blocks are wonderful. They will look great pieced together. Yesterday I thought you were paper- or foundation piecing. now it looks as if you are just plain piecing, because they are all different.

If you see a raccoon in the daytime, stay away because it will be sick.

Britt said...

I made my mom a quilt just like your blue and white kaleidoscope! Only my mom requested a ruffle on the outer edge. Not my style, but she was happy.I think the pattern and colors were just made for each other!

Anonymous said...

Wanda-
are you just using a standard log cabin paper foundation and then sewing on your strips in random sizes, i.e. not following the printed lines?? several people commented about this, so I'm probably not the only one who wonders
Linda E in AZ

Cathi said...

Those little blocks look like the beginning of something -- and something that will be very fun. I love what you're doing with them.

The kaleidoscope quilt is wonderful! I could stare at that for hours!

Beena said...

I really like the way your tiny blocks are coming along! Pretty! I once made a strip pieced kaleidoscope quilt from a book..."Noodle Soup" or something like that! I keep wanting to do another one!

Joyce said...

I have to say that I'm crazy about the crazy ones!

Rhonda said...

I love all your work and the colors are EXUBERANT! Take care.

Barbara Strobel Lardon said...

I like the crazy ones too....more like you!
Gardens can be something you constantly have to keep after. I do a lot of transplanting midway thru the summer because things that look fine now will just go crazy later.

Anonymous said...

Do you have to order the anti-fatique mats or can you get them at one of the hardware stores?
Roberta

Kim Brackett said...

I am so intrigued by your batik blocks! They're beautiful. And the various sizes mixed together will be so interesting.

Anonymous said...

Enjoy watching the transformation of what may be "a coming attraction" with your little and bigger blocks.

My, oh my, do I love your blue and white kaleidoscope, I'm one of those that just loves blue. And I could look through a kaleidoscope for hours~ Putting the two together is pure perfection.


J~MT

Jean said...

Beautiful quilt. I like this pattern, I am doing one for a class, though not with the stripes, though I love the stripes! What i love about his design is secondary pattern of circles it makes when you put lots together.