Monday, May 11, 2009

Challenged--and a walk through the garden....
I have been challenged to make the larger of the 2 pieces I showed yesterday into a quilt!! Now I don't think I'll make it as big as I was challenged to make it but I decided I'll add a border every day until I am sick of it. Last night I got the purple border sewn on. Today will be the pieced border.
I walked through the back garden and took some pictures. It is so pretty this time of year when it is all filling in. This is one little section with 3 different hostas. (and a few little maple trees that I need to pull out).
This is just behind the path at the top of the last picture. There are 5 different hostas in this one. Do you see the little tiny one in the front? It stays small too. Also in this bed are red penstemon and a couple coneflowers.
My son says this version of the Jack in the Pulpit is out at the forest preserve between our town and the next town west of us. I couldn't resist a close up picture even though I already showed it a few days ago.
This is the third group of Jacks that I have found back there. I wonder if this one is deformed or just not opened up yet.
On Mondays I do grocery shopping for my parents and go to any other stores that they need supplies from. Our sewing circle, Tabitha circle, at church meets today too. I don't know what our project is so I take my serger and a sewing machine, cutting mat, ruler and rotary cutter and a pair of sharp scissors so I am prepared. I wasn't able to go last time because of my mother's Dr. appt. but I know they packed a lot of the preemie layettes for delivery to the hospital.

16 comments:

Vicky F said...

Wow, Wanda, that quilt square is gorgeous.

The border really changed it - now the square looks like a window facing a secret garden.

My hostas are waking up, too. Looks like I may have a few to divide. Do you prefer the spring or fall to divide them?
Vicky F

M. Regina said...

Beautiful quilt, the colors are fantastics. Hugs from Brazil.

Vicki W said...

Sweet! A bigger quilt!

Bren said...

Love the quilt square with the border. Will wait anxiously daily for what will come.
Jack in the Pulpit are so interesting. Would love to have some in my garden. Will plan that for next year.
Have a Good Day!

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Such a lovely creation with your batik scraps. And you can keep on showing the progress of the Jack in the Pulpit - it's awesome.

Cheryl Arkison said...

So how big does that make it? Great movement in that block.

Anonymous said...

Such fun to watch one of your creations grow day by day.

Enjoyed your back garden full of spring foliage. How long will your Jack in the Pulpit blossom last ? I only know one when I see it, but that is all I know about them.

J~MT

Cathi said...

This is going to be fun to watch and see it grow! How big is it now? I can't help but think it would make a great teddy bear quilt, whatever size it finishes at.

Beena said...

Like your "challenge" quilt! Hope you keep posting pics of the progress!

Anonymous said...

What an interesting idea Wanda! Will keep on the look out to see how it goes! - that goes for the Jack o' lantern and the quilt!

meggie said...

What a fun beginning to that new quilt- if it makes it to adulthood!
I love seeing the pics of your garden waking up.

hetty said...

Your challenge quilt looks great! Just adding alternating borders. Very interesting. I love hostas! And I love Jacks. Mine look exactly like yours right now, so I think it is not deformed, just not fully opened up yet.

imquilternity said...

Oh, I love the idea of a challenge. It will be fun watching your progress and seeing what surprises you come up with!

Clare said...

The colours re fantastic! I love the border fabric.

Our hostas are coming into flower. They've ben up for about a month now and, for once, the snails are keeping away (she says with fingers crossed).

Rebel said...

Yay hostas! Your garden looks so cool and peaceful with all the new greens.

Lynda said...

I envy you having hostas in your garden - the slugs eat mine, so I have to keep them in pots.