Saturday, May 2, 2009

Batik selvages, and nature.
Most batiks don't have printed selvages and this is the closest Hoffman ever got to doing a printed one. In 1993 this was printed on the end of every bolt, which means only the first person to buy yardage got it.
The redbuds aren't fully opened but are really close. The back yard is looking very pink.
In front of the house I have this little flowering cherry bush. It has never gotten very full and I guess these bushes don't have a long life either.
The real beauty is the neighbor's crab apple tree.
The flowering trees all over town are blooming and people are smiling more. I think we all feel like wearing a sweatshirt that says "I survived a LONG winter".
I am not taking any more orders for my batik strips. I had enough people email me or comment that they would like to purchase some that I think they will be all gone. If there are any left I will tell you at the end of next week. I am not cutting any currently available fabrics for the kits, just older ones that will never be available again.

14 comments:

Jean said...

Interesting about the selvage edge on those batiks. I love the flowering trees too, they are blooming here too. My lilac bush is blooming. I might try to take a picture later today if it perks up....it has been drenched in rain the past few days, but the sun is out this morning.

Unknown said...

I find that very interesting that Hoffman was doing that. I guess you were a lucky one to get those few and still have them in your stash. I love all your pictures of spring. The same is happening here, all the flowering trees are in bloom and people are smiling. I know that I certainly am and do feel that I survived a long winter.

jovaliquilts said...

Neat about the selvages. What I don't like are the huge ones that some fabric has. And I know what you mean about people smiling more now that it's spring -- I'm one of them!

Anonymous said...

Isn't this a wonderful time of year? Flowering trees, azaleas, daffodils. One thing I miss from my few years in Tennessee is the abundance of redbud trees. You don't see too many in CT, and I love them. The magnolias are blooming--actually, waning. Enjoy the beauty of nature.

ilovebabyquilts said...

Funny, I was just wondering the other day why batiks don't have selvages! Lucky you getting some rare ones.

Anonymous said...

Always enjoy your weekend posts. Learned about Hoffman Batiks without a running printed selvage, today. You know how much I quilt.

And your photo's showing us the explosion of blossoming trees and bushes in the midwest, are breath taking.

J~MT

Beena said...

Those selvages have an artistic look to them! I can picture them on part of a journal cover.

The trees look gorgeous. Much better than piles of snow! (there's a reason I live in Florida!) I don't know that I had ever seen a crab apple tree before. I like the coloring a lot. A lot to be inspired by, in nature.

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Yes, batik selvages and LOVELY floral photos. Thanks!

Purple Pam said...

Your photos of the blooming trees and flowers are beautiful. I like your journal covers also. I never knew about the Hoffman batik selvage identifier. Quite interesting. Thanks for the info.

Joann said...

I have as much fun viewing your nature photos as I do your quilting ones! I lived in the Pacific Northwest for 25 years and recently had to relocate to the southwest. How I miss all the daffodils, hyacinth and hostas, not to mention the birds and wildlife! Your pictures help me deal with the homesickness. Thanks for the smiles!

Cathi said...

The flowering trees are gorgeous!!! Ours aren't quite there yet but I think maybe this week. The crab apple tree on the roof garden are close to blooming. I can't wait!

The Calico Cat said...

1993 - ahh the (cr@ppy) memories...

Wanda said...

Beautiful trees...and fabric!

Patty Cramer said...

Wow Wanda - You're doing so much. I should cut batiks and do the rolls. I need to downsize my stash and I'm certain others would just "LOVE" to have part of my collection.
Glad spring has sprung!! Those long Illinois winters can be a bear!!