Monday, March 30, 2009

Spiral crazy

I had done the ditch quilting on this baby quilt more than a month ago so I did some free motion spirals on it yesterday. After awhile some of the spirals got jerky and I have to say I have more than one squarish spiral in there. I had to keep reminding myself that I was steering with my left hand (the one with the glove on it) and not let my right hand take over. I don't like to wear gloves but I can tolerate one.I didn't try to stay with any one size or number of rounds.
The reason I quilted this one like this is because I want to see how it looks after it is washed. I know I like meandering because it is an even pattern but I wanted to see if spirals look bumpy and lumpy. I'll trim it and bind it by machine today and then throw it in with a load of laundry.
The snow is almost gone and it will get up to 50 degrees today. That is the nice part of spring snow storms.

12 comments:

Yvette said...

You did a great job on the quilting. Be sure to show us a picture after it is washed.

Vicky F said...

Hi Wanda,
Those spirals look nice; I bet it will look good after washing as well.
Two questions: I wondering why you only like one glove while quilting?
What is your favorite machine quilting thread (top and bottom).
Happy Spring!
Vicky F

Marty Mason said...

I love your spirals...we have to begin somewhere. A quilt is never finished until it's washed!Once washed and dried, it will just look and feel like a most wonderful quilt.

SueR said...

I am always impressed with the quilting that folks can do on a domestic. The spirals are a nice texture, and they look just fine! I'll be interested to see how it comes out of the wash. I usually use Hobbs, which seems to shrink up alot.

Cathi said...

What a pretty little quilt! I love the spirals -- boy, would I be happy if I could do anything that even came close to those!

Purple Pam said...

Great quilting on your latest quilt. Your baby quilt is darling, too.

Chris Daly said...

I hate wearing gloves too. Have you ever tried wearing 2 rubber fingers on each hand? (for filing available at the office supply store)

Lynda said...

The spirals look lovely. It's a great pattern.

Jean said...

The spirals look awesome, you did a great job! We had over 60 here today, tomorrow a storm is coming, high of 37...spring...

Unknown said...

It will definitely come out looking like a meandered quilt. I think you will like the result. The quilting is wonderful. You did a great job! I think you are sending the weather our way tomorrow. It is going to be the only nice day of the week!

Amy said...

I love the spirals. LOVE them.

Tammy J said...

I think your quilting is so fun! I use machingers quilting gloves, they are lightweight, but support my hands and grip the fabric. You might enjoy them better than the gloves you have.