Sunday, March 1, 2009

Last February finish

I made this top back in 2004 or 2005. Full picture is in this post. I quilted it near the beginning of Feb. but waited until the last day of the month at 7 p.m. to sew the binding on. I got a new needle out to do the hand stitching and even though it is a batik fabric, it went pretty fast. So now I know the trick, use a new needle. Cathi are you laughing at me?


Here is another blast from the past. This one was one of the most loved quilts when I did programs for guilds. It is another of those Y seam blocks and also had rights and lefts of 2 different value ranges so you had to be on your toes when cutting for it.
A close up of those beloved 1980's calicoes. This was made while I owned a quilt shop 1982-1986 and was one of the most successful classes that I taught.
Now I will explain the design flaw from the post yesterday. If you go back to this post and focus on the light center and let your eye travel to the top, the light is escaping out where on the other 3 sides it is contained by darker blocks. I didn't want to add more blocks to the top because it is already trimmed, and the blocks are staggered (not all the same height) so it would have been a big job to pick open the top of every vertical row and resize some blocks before adding others. The easiest solution was a border that had medium and dark values so I could place the medium area over the light at the top so it wasn't too big of a jump in values but your eye would take in the whole border and not stop there. Now, is that more than you wanted to know? LOL

16 comments:

Gene Black said...

I didn't see that as a flaw. To me it was an intentional upward motion. i would have left it and called the quilt Flight of Color or something like that. I love it.

Joyce said...

Hmm... hard to see until you mention it but I don't think it would have bothered me all that much. Once you see it on your own work though, it's hard to ignore it.

goodworks1 said...

Ha! That's EXACTLY what I wanted to know. And exactly what I thought was the reason. But I might personally have gone with Gene Black, above, and left it that way, or changed something else. But anyhow, I like it just fine now! What fun it is to watch you work!
Elaine

Elsie Montgomery said...

You have quite the set of eyes. Some times I know something is wrong but cannot figure out what it is. You are a great teacher - we learn from your great quilts and even what you call mistakes.

Sequana said...

You just won't pay attention to my hint about using straw needles for binding, will you? *S*

I had them out yesterday to do some couching, and it was a breeze.....they are so thin and sharp.

btw...I saw that block standing out the minute I saw the pic. There was no where else to look, was there?

Jean said...

Great finish to February! I like the attic window quilt too. I haven't made one this way, I have always cheated and used HST....is it hard to do this way?

Jane Moxey said...

Thanks for your explanation -- so interesting. I thought you had entirely meant it to look the way it does. Little did I know that you had "agonized" a bit to get it how YOU wanted. And that's the main thing. I;'s a wonderful piece. And thanks for the trip down memory lane with those calicos in your Attic Windows quilt!

Anonymous said...

Perfectionist as you are... it is a flaw that only you feel it is. Looks like many of us, we don't see it as a flaw. I agree with Gene's comment totally.

I have so many of those same calico prints in your "Y" seamed box quilt. And I still enjoy seeing a quilt with calico prints.

A fun Sunday read.

J~MT

Leslie said...

Not more than I wanted to know - perfect explanation. Thanks for sharing! :-)

Barbara Strobel Lardon said...

Oh I remember when those calicos were as popular as batiks are now. I am sure everyone has them in their stash.

jovaliquilts said...

It would never have occurred to me to see that as a flaw -- I like it! And to my surprise, I really like your attic windows. I have never much cared for that design, but this one is intriguing.

Vicky F said...

Hi Wanda,
I didn't see that as a flaw, either, but then that's why you're the teacher and we're the students.
Kind of like when the teacher asks in school "now, what was the theme of that story", and I would think "theme? I just liked the story"
It's difficult to tweeze out the artist's intent vs. happy accident (at least in my mind).
I like your sparkling "cut glass" northwind quilt at the top as well.
Vicky F

Marilyn said...

You're the artist and I'm the student definitely because I didn't see it til you mentioned it and to be truthful I like it. Makes me think of a window with dappled light shining through leaves of a tree.

Unknown said...

The first quilt is absolutely gorgeous. I love it and the fabrics that you have chosen. The blast from the past is great. I love quilts that have optical illusions. Isn't it funny how some quilt classes are really big sellers. Thank you for pointing out the "design flaw". Although, I might call it a design decision. I would never have noticed it unless you pointed it out.

Shirley said...

this might be a repeat! if so, sorry.

I am an art quilter and sometimes I find that there is an area of my quilt that is too bright as you feel about this block in your beautiful quilt.

I take craft acrylic paint a bit darker than the background of the block, and paint it with DILUTED acrylic craft paint mixed with bit of textile medium. I think if you put just a bit of darker color as you want to blend it in.

aside from that - I LOVE it the way it is - it sparkles and to me that block adds to the overall
quilt. I personally would never change it.

I love your blog and will be back as your work is outstanding . I hope you will drop by mine-
Shirley

Janet said...

I'm drawn to optical illusion quilts. This scrapy quilt is so effective.I'm inspired to try this one too.