Friday, March 6, 2009

Quilt seeds

Here are the seeds for a new project. The ideas are whirling around in my head already. And finally both pieces, on an 8' wide design wall so you can see they are both a little under 4' wide.
I'm happy with the border. I tried the triangles pointing out at first but it just made your eye leave the quilt. I needed to see the center. I think I will do this star pattern in a larger quilt some day.
Since the edge of the one below was all bias, I had to do 2 rows of stitching around it to keep it from stretching so I could add borders.
I started sorting through a huge orange mesh cube (full of fabric misc.) that sits on the floor in my studio. I put a plastic drawer rolling unit in its place but you know how scraps fluff up when you go through them. They didn't all fit into the allotted drawer. I always hate the last 5 or 6 things that are left to put away somewhere and I can't decide where. They always become the bottom of a new stack that I will have to go through in 6 months.

12 comments:

Belvie said...

I recently found your blog. Just wanted to tell you that I really like the star quilt. I think that border looks wonderful. The other quilt is lovely too.

Like your seeds idea. Can't wait to see what those seeds grow to be.

Jackie Russell said...

It is nice to know that these quilts are not bed size quilts that you have been doing. I was thinking you were doing all these King size quilts every week. LOL! You have a great eye for color and design. Even tho I don't always leave a comment I read all your posts. Great inspiration!

Marilyn said...

Wanda, great finishes! I really like both your quilts.

Joyce said...

Both of them are beautiful. I am very interested in the seeds for the next quilt.

Cathi said...

They're both fabulous! I really see the difference with the little triangles pointing in towards the centre rather than away -- coming to your blog is always a learning experience!

Seeds for a new quilt is a great expression!

Elsie Montgomery said...

Two more great quilts, Wanda. I know that frustration of not knowing where to "file" those last few things. Maybe that "last things" box is the best idea. With your ideas, someday it will become a quilt too!

Anonymous said...

So different but so beautiful!

Barbara Strobel Lardon said...

Great finish on both of these.
You amaze me with the amount of work you can get finished in a few days.

Love that inner green border so much!

Unknown said...

I think you are right about the borders on the first one. Pointing the triangles inward was a good choice, it looks fantastic. The strata quilt looks so good with that lime green border.

Jean said...

Seeds of quilts, that is a good one...it's true too. They both look nice. I wish I had a nice big design wall like that.

Purple Pam said...

Such wonderful color in your quilts! Love it, love it, love it!

Gene Black said...

Hey, I never even considered that my string quilt blocks are "quilt seeds" That is a great thought for spring. Let's all plant some seeds and see what grows!

And let's face it, we all have those piles. Some folks just hide them better than others. If there isn't a pile on my quilt work table, I have just cleaned. As soon as I make anything else, there is a nice new pile. ha ha