Friday, March 20, 2009

Inserting the arcs

I had a question asked yesterday whether I am piecing the new arcs in or appliqueing them so here is the process. Here is a block with an arc just laid over the top of it. I removed the arc and chose the 2 acrylic Strips 'n Curves templates that are needed to cut the section out of the block.
I have cut along the edges of the 2 templates and removed the piece that is not needed.
One side of the arc is sewn to the block.
The other side of the arc is sewn in place.
The finished block, right side up, with the arc sewn in.
Here is a shot of the section where the arcs are all sewn into the blocks. If you compare it with yesterday's picture, you will see the arcs are skinnier now. Oops! Now that I look at it closer the purple arc in the lower right corner isn't sewn in yet so you can compare them right here.
One person commented that I must have one amazing stash to chose from. Well, yes I do. This purple print that I used is at least 12 years old, maybe a couple years older than that. I learned that not the same shade of purple (or yellow, etc.) was available every year so that if you wanted a full range of any color you had to start collecting and collect over quite a few years. I don't have very big pieces of any of them, usually 1/2 to 1 yard. Once in awhile I would hit a good sale and buy more, or find an unusual one that I knew I would need more of and buy 2-3 yards. I probably have 80 or more different pieces of purple, but small yardage of most.


Would anybody out there want to know why I thought this quilt was dull in the first place? Just another of my theories from 51 years of quilt making.

23 comments:

sosarahsew said...

Hi Wanda, I think this series has been good to show that as quilters we re sometimes working too close to our projects and need to step back (either phyiscally or through the lens of a camera)to see the whole picture. I'm glad you shared the steps of this process in choosing the best color/print value. In paging back over the days, I think this purple really is the best decision. Now the quilt sings spring blooms whereas the first incarnation was still end of winter drab.
Sarah

Anonymous said...

Wanda - what was your thoughts on why it was dull? My guess is no punch with an accent color. the 'pink' was too matchy. thanks for sharing....
<3 judi

Carmen Rose said...

Yes, the purple is a good choice and I think your process is very interesting!

Susan Turney said...

I'm in awe!!!! Great series of posts!

Joyce said...

I've got a bad case of stash envy here. I've only been quilting for about 4 years so my stash is pretty skimpy.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Aside from loving the purple and how it plays with the rest of the quilt ~ what I like about this series of posts is the willingness to change what didn't make you happy and/or allow the quilt to sing, despite the amount of thought and effort needed...

Anonymous said...

Wanda, a friend referred me to your blog. What a wonderful site! There is so much eye candy to explore!
On your latest entry, I notice you press your seams open. Have you always done this for piecing, or are you just doing it for this particular curved piecing project?
Joann

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your step by step progress of stitching the arch. I enjoy seeing the detail of the back side of your work. It is supreme precision.

J~MT

The Calico Cat said...

I thin ki need your templates. I want to make the block that you are making without the strips... So that they will go together like a race track for my son...

angelabe said...

Io penso che il tuo blog sia uno dei migliori che io abbia visitato. Usi sempre dei colori bellissimi!!

Vicki said...

Thanks for sharing your process, this is great for us who have only been quilting for a few years. Yes I would love to see a post on your theory of why you thought the original quilt was dull.

I love the final look of this quilt top, and it's great to see the steps that went to get to this end place. thanks again for taking the time to share your process.

Leslie said...

Wanda - This is very eye-catching, and your precision is awesome. I'm going to have to break down and buy the book and templates! Thanks for sharing the metamorphosis and your thoughts.

goodworks1 said...

"Would anybody out there want to know why I thought this quilt was dull in the first place?"

Ha! Silly question!! Of course we'd like to know!

...waiting to hear the answer,
Elaine

Jean said...

The purple looks great!

Vicky F said...

Hi Wanda
OK, now we know what your next post is going to be. Yes, I would like to know why you considered the quilt "dull". To me, it looked calm, not exciting, but I have a number of quilting friends who love the overly-planned color-matched quilt. (I consider it my mission to shake 'em up a little bit).
Vicky F

Unknown said...

Wanda, The purple looks fantastic. I hold your same theory on gather fabrics for stash. I usually get 1/2 to 1 yard as well and just collect. It really does provide for much better choices when working on a new project.

quiltmom anna said...

HI Wanda,
I loved your beautiful arc quilts-
It is really pretty- I have a couple of books by Elisa Wilson that use arcs, circles and melon shapes- Just another pattern that I would love to make..
I was interested to see that you pressed your seams open- Do you always do that? I do that for sewing but not quilting..

I like the colorwash soft look of this quilt and found the arc graduated pieces really effective.
As always you have made a beautiful quilt even if it not as bold as some of your other works of art.
Have a great weekend,
Regards,
Anna

Renee said...

Yes, please tell us... should I look back tomorrow :-) ??

Anonymous said...

Just stunning - I've never seen a template ruler/shape like that and how do you machine piece the curves together. Too beautiful and just so many questions on the piecing.

Nancy said...

Yes, tell us. And please answer the question about pressing the seams open as well. I think from following your blog, it's something you dare doing for the curved pieces, but I'd like to be sure. And yes, this is another wondeful quilt!

TB said...

Ooooo, I like it! Brings rain drops in a body of water to mind.

Wanda said...

You are definitely my "quilt hero". I am in awe. I've seen, on rare occassion, quilts like this but never knew how they made them. Thanks to your great blog, I see now. I still couldn't do it but I understand a little more about what all goes on!

Anonymous said...

Your workmanship is just beautiful. Some day i will be brave enough for curves.