Monday, March 9, 2009

Cutting up the scraps

The scrap pieces I got back from Jackie after she die cut shapes for me look like this orange/red piece. I decided I needed to see what other shapes I could get out of the piles of 10 fabrics each. I found that I could get a 1.5" strip up the middle which left 2 triangles to the left of it and the 2 weird shapes on the other side of the strips are what is leftover. I will pair the triangles (which are not all the same size) and sew them together and then cut an accurate square out of them. Here is the pile of groups of 10 that I still have to cut.
We had heavy rain the last 2 days. I went to a quilt show yesterday in a town a half hour south of me and saw flooded fields and drainage ditches. Miraculously every time I got out of the car the rain stopped. I felt like the character in a book that had traffic lights always turn green when she approached them. I felt like someone had their hand on the switch that was dumping the buckets of rain.

14 comments:

Carmen Rose said...

Wow, lucky you! Can you travel with me always? I love standing in the rain on my porch at my house, but I don't like it when I'm going somewhere.

And bravo for using up all those scraps. I hereby dub thee an "Honorary Mennonite." (Which I can do because I am one, or at least that is my heritage.)

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

good idea for using up the left overs, I hadn't thought of that when you showed us the picture the other day - looks like the way they cut leaves a lot of waste.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Joyce said...

Those odd pieces would be fine for wonky quilting like letters or houses. The accu-cutter seems to be a bit wasteful of fabric, unless you are into odd scraps.

Cathi said...

The odd pieces are really intriguing! Those piles of glorious colour look like just so much fun!!

Anonymous said...

ALWAYS fun to see how you get more out of a scrap piece of fabric than anyone else I know.

"Raining buckets"... at least it was not snow. You area sure gets the moisture.

J~MT

Anonymous said...

I just can't see how you can piece these when they are so perfectly stacked! WOW, I just love it when you post them.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Waste not, want not...

Glad it was rain and not snow (you've had more than enough of that this season)!

Anonymous said...

Guess you need to go out in your car lots tomorrow, since they are predicting more rain. Wonder if that would stop the rain this far away?? T

Elsie Montgomery said...

I'm eager to see what you do with the leftovers!

As for the rain stopping for you, my mother used to say, "We must need it or we would not be getting it." That works both ways!

Sabry said...

Hi, I'm Sabrina from Siena Italy. Really compliments for your beautiful works!! Kiss, Sabry

Unknown said...

Glad to see you are making good use of the scraps. Next time I will cut up all the fabric if you like, no problem. But I am intrigued and can't wait to see what you will make with the scraps. By they way, I received your check and the beautiful little block! I was so excited. I think I will need to build a quilt around it!

Chris Daly said...

Hope you stay high and dry. We had freezing rain then snow, a winter wonderland for 24 hours.

Jean said...

Will these scrap pieces be the start of a new series? They are still beautiful all stacked up like that.

We had rain the past few days too, now getting colder tonight and back to winter tomorrow.

Sharon said...

Isn't that funny how the rain will sometimes do that? Magical, somehow!

Your fabrics look so gorgeous, and I love that you're going to use every scrap of them! It would be hard for me to break that perfect symmetry.