Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Borders times 2

After playing with a couple choices, I think this is what my border will be. I had to piece some more triangle squares in lighter pinks and oranges to keep the border and center in the same flavor. (The new ones aren't in this picture.) I think I have enough pieced now to get the borders sewn. I have been playing with this one below too to see if I want it to have borders or not. I just love the lime green and yellow/gold stripey piece and thought I would try it. The outer border has the same green and gold in the designs on black. I am about 90% sure that I am going to use this.
On the first quilt the border needed to be part of the design of the quilt, an integrated border. The second quilt needs to be framed like a picture with a mat and frame. Maybe that is because the first one has a resting spot for the eyes with the consistent background fabric and the second one is so busy it need to be calmed. I really don't know why I feel the way I do about borders, I just go with the gut feeling that it is right.

19 comments:

Cathi said...

I love the green/gold to frame the second quilt.
The first quilt is looking fabulous -- and I love your idea for the border!

Julia Wood said...

I ADORE the lime green stripey fabric!! The perfect choice. And thanks for sharing the snow.

Julie Bagamary said...

The lime green strip is wonderful!

Bren said...

The lime green strip and then the black with those colors in it looks great. My eye went to the main part of the quilt and not right to the border. Then I encompassed the whole quilt.
JUST RIGHT!!

Unknown said...

Your feelings are dead on! I love the borders on both quilts. That limey strip one is a fantastic one to frame the quilt. I think gut feelings are usually correct.

hetty said...

Stick with your gut feelings! They are right on! Both quilts will look fantastic! (as always)

Elsie Montgomery said...

Nice, Wanda. I really like that lime green combo too. When I first looked at the other quilt, I thought you were going to do a partial with the triangles and the rest of the border was going to be plain. Do you ever do that? Sometimes it is effective.

Eva said...

What a wonderful 8-star quilt! I love the vintage look of the background cloth.

Anonymous said...

They are both just great! Right on target. My personal favorite is the top one with the stars, I just love all the fabrics, they are magnificant!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Whew~ after reading all of the above comments... they have not left much for me to add.

The finishing touches you add to every one of your creations, are always the best! I love BOTH of these two quilts.

J~MT

Renee said...

Love them both... not used to seeing borders on your pieces. The lime green just jumps right out... yum!

Ellen Guerrant said...

Love the acid green and gold inner border! It really makes the green fabrics in the quilt pop. Wonderful piece.
Ellen Guerrant
http://ellenguerrant.blogspot.com

Joyce said...

The two borders on the second one are perfect. I love that inside lime green.

Fiber Babble said...

Oh, yes, definitely include the lime green strip. Stunning.

Gene Black said...

I think they both look lovely.

meggie said...

I love both your border choices. You certainly have a 'good eye' for design.

Vicki W said...

I love both of them. I always learn so much from your posts!

Susan said...

I especially like your second quilt -- I like high-energy quilts! The borders are perfect.

Jean said...

The HST are looking good around that quilt. The green border adds a shimmery touch to the quilt. Nice choices.