Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Layout 1, first 25 blocks

I wanted to see how spring-like the quilt feels so far. I will try several different layouts though. That is the fun of log cabin. I wanted you to see how the boxes stack, each sitting in its neighbor's lid, ready to pick pieces out of.
I cut each full width strip at the fold line and only cut half into pieces for the log cabin blocks. Here is the stack of "the other half strip".
There were a few comments about cutting the logs to lengths yesterday. Back in the 1980's when I made my log cabin quilts with the same 7 or 13 fabrics all through the quilt, I didn't cut lengths. I would just add the first strip to all of the center squares and then cut between them, press and add the next fabric to all of the squares with first strip added, etc. However when doing a scrap log cabin you can get the best variety in the blocks by having a pile of cut strips to choose from. They are in piles of darks and piles of lights in the boxes. The blocks will be more square and accurate if you precut lengths too as long as your seam allowance is accurate. Whatever seam allowance you added to the log lengths is the seam allowance you must sew.

16 comments:

Julie Bagamary said...

Wow - I like the square design in the "rows". I'm not sure I've seen that arrangement before now.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I like your set up and the colors you have chosen for this quilt. I love log cabin blocks and have made at least 4 or 5 log cabin quilts over the years -
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Susan Turney said...

I love the colors!!! And I love this layout but have now read enough of your posts that I know you'll keep changing it and I'll love each of the layouts. Thank you for such a great blog. I always look forward to seeing the next post!

ilovebabyquilts said...

I like this layout! Try barn raising next.
Wendy

Anonymous said...

Love what you are doing with your SPRING log cabin. Fabrics in those blocks just glow with sunshine.

J~MT

Wanda said...

I too just love the layout and the colors!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! Just curious as to why you only cut half the width of the fabric for the log cabin and reserve the other half?

Jane Moxey said...

Looks like spring to me:) Is that a Barn Raising setting you're playing with or that Straight Furrows? So many options to play with on your design wall! I love the very light lights which set off the spring-like colored strips on the dark side!

Susan said...

I can't believe how productive you are -- you put me to shame! And every quilt is a beauty. You've brought some spring sunshine into this cold, grey rainy day here in Southern Wisconsin -- thank you!

West Michigan Quilter said...

Beautiful colors. So spring like. How do you manage to get so much done! Love it.

Vicky F said...

Hi Wanda,
Your springy log cabin is so yummy!
I always wondered if you prewashed the batiks prior to cutting? Batiks can be so stiff before washing, but maybe the stiffness would work for you with this style of quilt.
Vicky F

Jean said...

It is looking very pretty so far. What setting is next?

Cathi said...

I don't think I've ever seen a log cabin in such pretty pretty colours. The ones I've seen always seem quite dark. I love the light effect of this! I can't wait to see the next setting!

Marilyn said...

Your boxes are brilliant! And yes it looks like spring. We saw bluebonnets blooming Sunday. It is so dry here that there aren't many.

Anonymous said...

Some beautiful colours in there. You have such a good eye for putting the right tones next to each other. Another lesson learnt!! Thank you Wanda.

Leslie said...

I really love the colors; I've not seen a log cabin quilt that looked so "happy." It definitely would NEVER have occurred to me to precut each length strip that would be needed. I'll have to think about that one. Thanks for the beauty! :-)